Yusniel Diaz - OF 2018 #5 Prospect

Tony-OH

Lower than I expected, based on his rankings in the top 100 on BA’s midseason list and others.    However, he didn’t really hit at Bowie the way he did in the 1st half.    I do think that if he pans out he’ll be a higher OBP guy than the .340 projected in the write-up.   Think Markakis.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lower than I expected, based on his rankings in the top 100 on BA’s midseason list and others.    However, he didn’t really hit at Bowie the way he did in the 1st half.    I do think that if he pans out he’ll be a higher OBP guy than the .340 projected in the write-up.   Think Markakis.   

Yeah, I thought about a Markakis comp, but I like to comp guys who bats the same way. Being a right-handed hitter, I like the Phil Bradley comp though I don't see him having the speed Bradley had early in his career. A right-handed Markakis as his ceiling is not a bad comp, but Markakis put up much better numbers in the Eastern League at 21-years old while Diaz struggled.

If Diaz turns into Markakis, the Orioles should be thrilled.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, BarclaySouthway said:

Phil Bradley sounds pretty good to me.  He had 5 or 6 very productive years.

Phil Bradley sounds too optimistic imo.  He had tremendous speed at his peak and a lifetime OPS+ of 119. I'd guess Mike Devereaux is a better comp.  Granted, Devo played a lot of CF, but he was better suited to play corner OF.  Then again, I'm not as high on Diaz as most are.    

• 2 months later...

https://www.prospectslive.com/fantasy/2019/1/8/graphs-amp-breakouts-yusniel-diazs-breakout-alonsos-power-and-the-confusing-case-of-blake-rutherford

Has Yusniel Diaz broken out?

One of my favorite “graph scouts” I’ve come across is Orioles outfielder Yusniel Diaz. We can see with a series of different queries that Diaz’s profile improved and stabilized (for the most part) over the last two seasons. 

First take a look at his rolling wRC+....

Enjoy

On 11/8/2018 at 7:12 AM, Frobby said:

However, he didn’t really hit at Bowie the way he did in the 1st half.    I do think that if he pans out he’ll be a higher OBP guy than the .340 projected in the write-up.    

I wonder how much of his struggles in Bowie had to do with being traded across the country and everything else associated with a move like that for a 21 year old? I'm not sure I'd read too much into his 2nd half at Bowie.

Does anyone know if maybe they were getting him to work on some things like they did with Carroll and Tate? If so, and I don't think it would shock any of us if they did, just possibly another explanation as to why.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Grades for ‘18 (Pipeline Hit: 55 | Pwr: 55 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Fld: 55 | Overall: 55

MLB ratings 30, and 31

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipelines-hitting-prospects-on-the-rise/c-294481818

I’m very confused.   The Pipeline link says it’s for ‘18 but when you click on it you get the Tampa prospect list from 2016.    Then in the linked article, the top of the blurb on Diaz says he’s 31, but in the body of the blurb it says he’s 54.    When you go to the list that’s linked, he’s 52.  Meanwhile, the blurb says he’s our no. 2 prospect, but there’s no Oriole ahead of him on the top 100 list that’s linked.    For Mountcastle, his blurb in the article says he’s 68 but on the list he’s 63.    All in all, poor presentation by MLB.com.    

On 11/9/2018 at 3:42 PM, Ruzious said:

Phil Bradley sounds too optimistic imo.  He had tremendous speed at his peak and a lifetime OPS+ of 119. I'd guess Mike Devereaux is a better comp.  Granted, Devo played a lot of CF, but he was better suited to play corner OF.  Then again, I'm not as high on Diaz as most are.    

I want to know the Phil Bradley backstory.  He was tremendous player, even in his off year that seemed to doom his career his OBP was .350.  I don't know how you go from 124 OPS+ in '89 to MLB career over in '90.  Earlier he was also traded along with some other players for Glenn Wilson, who was also a corner outfielder with an OPS 150 points lower and 37 fewer steals. 

Maybe he came along 10 years too early, he walked before walking was cool.  Just seems like he was always undervalued.

Archived