Luke’s 2018 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

• In a preview of today’s Rule 5 Draft, J.J. Cooper of Baseball America writes that A’s shortstop prospect Richie Martin is rumored as the Orioles’ choice as the draft’s first overall pick.  Oakland picked Martin 20th overall in the 2015 amateur draft, and after dealing with knee problems during his first three pro seasons, Martin broke out to hit .300/.368/.439 over 509 plate appearances for Double-A Midland in 2018.  The Athletics couldn’t find room for him on the 40-man roster, however, and now the team stands a good chance of losing Martin in the Rule 5 Draft, be it the Orioles or another interested club.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/athletics-notes-davis-murray-rule-5-draft.html

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elias says he's going talent first, according to the latest MASN article, which he might not do in another year. Clearly he really feels like the Orioles need any kind of talent they can get. So I'm guessing he's going upside for this one regardless of how hard it might be for them to stick.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Elias says he's going talent first, according to the latest MASN article, which he might not do in another year. Clearly he really feels like the Orioles need any kind of talent they can get. So I'm guessing he's going upside for this one regardless of how hard it might be for them to stick.

I disagree. I think he's going for someone he feels confident WILL stick and then upside amongst that group. It doesn't make sense to draft someone that has big upside if you're not likely to keep them anyway. Even going with essentially a 24-man roster to stash a high upside player isn't a good option given the stunted growth of that player. I think it makes the most sense to go with the best player available who can stick and continue developing at the Major League level (even if a bit of a stretch).

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Talent first in the Rule 5 draft is a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

Just now, NCRaven said:

It's tough enough when you have a 25 man roster to work with.  But, we all know that the O's are stuck with a 22 man roster + 2 Rule 5 picks + Chris Davis.  It's hard to manage major league games that way.

At least it's the proper time to do this, unlike some of the years under Duquette. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

At least it's the proper time to do this, unlike some of the years under Duquette. 

Oh, I don't disagree.  Just not easy on your manager unless he just sucks it up and takes one (or 115) for the team.  No matter who they hire, I hope he gets to buck conventional wisdom on the OH and hang around for the good times and not just the big loss seasons.

Maybe this deserves its own section, but do we have any targets in the minor league portion of the Rule-5 draft? On a side note, a guy we're obviously not going to take--Yasmany Tomas--seems to be on the list. Does anyone know what happened to him? he had a very good year in 2016 at age 25 and then seems to have disappeared. Was it an injury? Any chance he bounces back at all? It wouldn't make sense to grab him and eat the money, but would Arizona deal him for next to nothing if we ate 10% of the money given his issues at Triple-A? Sorry...just a random thought.

Archived