New manager

Rene88

Really not impressed with Manny Acta's track record.   He had losing years every year he's managed.  Both Washington and Cleveland improved after he left.

I mean, not that we're gonna be competing for the division.   Maybe he's better at maximizing the utility of losing than some others.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna go on a limb and say Mike Bell.  

I don't really care about this managing hire from a W/L perspective.  As long as they can fill out a lineup card, be a good leader to the young players and help foster development, thats what matters most.  Wins and losses shouldn't be what this next manager is judged by.  

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Acta makes some sense, although I get he's not super interesting. But... change of pace from Buck, bilingual, big league experience managing, probably would be thrilled to manage again and follow orders.

I think one of the most important qualities about the incoming manager will be his willingness to get with the program, so to speak. If the entire organization is going to embrace an analytical approach from top on down, then the Orioles need a manager who is going to do as asked by the front office.

Whoever Elias believes will work best with him and his team is who I want hired.  No friction, no division, no games.  The Orioles have never hired a manger like this before.  They have a role but to me are less important than the GM, Head of Analytics, Director of Scouting and Director of Player Development.  

31 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Acta.  I wanted Dickerson to get a shot.  Seems he is good with young players and I don’t think he has the taint of Buck. BTW, I think Buck was great but time to move on

I certainly wasn't/am not aware of any such "taint" with Buck, but concur on Bobby D. Hopefully whoever the new guy is sees fit to hang on to him. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Really not impressed with Manny Acta's track record.   He had losing years every year he's managed.  Both Washington and Cleveland improved after he left.

I mean, not that we're gonna be competing for the division.   Maybe he's better at maximizing the utility of losing than some others.

Yeah-I had same exact thoughts. I don't know a great deal to speak intelligently on most of these guys but the one I don't really want is Manny Acta unless he is a bench coach and not the manager. I concur with you.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gonna go on a limb and say Mike Bell.  

I don't really care about this managing hire from a W/L perspective.  As long as they can fill out a lineup card, be a good leader to the young players and help foster development, thats what matters most.  Wins and losses shouldn't be what this next manager is judged by.  

That’s my choice of the 6.

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also, no second round of interviews. That's nice to have confirmed. Sounds like they know who they want.

Yeah-I was surprised at that as well but I think that is correct, they know so maybe favorite is someone they are familiar with already?

Archived