O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

interloper

Just now, Number5 said:

Difference being that in the past the Orioles weren't going to use the international bonus pool allotment anyway.

I'd imagine international scouting takes awhile to put in place, and we're building the infrastructure pretty much from scratch. I'd be surprised if we made a lot of international signings this year. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Andtothewall said:

I'd imagine international scouting takes awhile to put in place, and we're building the infrastructure pretty much from scratch. I'd be surprised if we made a lot of international signings this year. 

Yeah, I agree.  Once we missed out on the Mesa brothers and that pitcher it doesn't seem likely that there were players left that would require as much bonus money as the Orioles had accumulated in their allotment.  I was just pointing out that DD's trades for veterans weren't all that bad considering that ownership wouldn't let him spend the international allotment anyway.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I agree.  Once we missed out on the Mesa brothers and that pitcher it doesn't seem likely that there were players left that would require as much bonus money as the Orioles had accumulated in their allotment.  I was just pointing out that DD's trades for veterans weren't all that bad considering that ownership wouldn't let him spend the international allotment anyway.

Oh I see, I figured you were implying that the Jackson trade was bad because, unlike in past years, we can actually use that money for international signings. I blame my automatic internet cynicism! 

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Difference being that in the past the Orioles weren't going to use the international bonus pool allotment anyway.

Still that way - the pool resets after December if I'm correct.  Starting next year the team is actually going to spend.

21 minutes ago, Andtothewall said:

This money vanishes at the next Draft. So it is really last year's July 2 money. 

LA's #19 Prospect

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=la

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 40 | Run: 65 | Arm: 70 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

The younger brother of former Cubs first-rounder Brett Jackson, Drew hit .184 in his first two seasons at Stanford before breaking out as a junior in 2015 and winning short-season Northwest League MVP honors in his pro debut. After leading the NWL in hitting (.358) and on-base percentage (.432), he hasn't come close to matching those numbers in his first two full seasons. Traded by the Mariners with right-hander Aneurys Zabala to the Dodgers for Chase De Jong in March 2017, he reached Double-A in August but batted just .234/.346/.324 there.

Jackson is one of the best athletes in the system. Both his cannon arm and his speed grade well above average and give him the ability to play all over the diamond. He's a quality defender at second base and capable at shortstop, his two main positions, and also appeared briefly at third base and center field last year.

A lack of feel for hitting hurt Brett Jackson and the same fate may befall Drew, who has been exposed earlier in his pro career. He's most effective when he shortens his right-handed swing, forgets about power and uses the whole field, but he has difficulty maintaining that approach. If he could get on base consistently, he could wreak havoc with his speed.

7 minutes ago, Santandah said:

LA's #19 Prospect

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=la

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 40 | Run: 65 | Arm: 70 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

The younger brother of former Cubs first-rounder Brett Jackson, Drew hit .184 in his first two seasons at Stanford before breaking out as a junior in 2015 and winning short-season Northwest League MVP honors in his pro debut. After leading the NWL in hitting (.358) and on-base percentage (.432), he hasn't come close to matching those numbers in his first two full seasons. Traded by the Mariners with right-hander Aneurys Zabala to the Dodgers for Chase De Jong in March 2017, he reached Double-A in August but batted just .234/.346/.324 there.

Jackson is one of the best athletes in the system. Both his cannon arm and his speed grade well above average and give him the ability to play all over the diamond. He's a quality defender at second base and capable at shortstop, his two main positions, and also appeared briefly at third base and center field last year.

A lack of feel for hitting hurt Brett Jackson and the same fate may befall Drew, who has been exposed earlier in his pro career. He's most effective when he shortens his right-handed swing, forgets about power and uses the whole field, but he has difficulty maintaining that approach. If he could get on base consistently, he could wreak havoc with his speed.

The write-up was pre-season 2018, and didn't include his very good 2018 AA season.  .251/.356/.447/.804 with 22 SB and 15HR.  

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Two defense first middle infielders battling it out for whatever position Villar doesn’t play. I like it!

The more i think about it, the more I'd love to see Villar dealt and Jackson and Martin up the middle, sink or swim. That's not likely to happen, but if neither are completely overmatched, i think it's possible these two are the middle infielders in August and September. I really want to see a lineup with Hays, Diaz, McKenna (or Mullins) in the OF and an INF with Jackson, Martin and Mancini (and whoever fairs better of Ruiz and Nunez at 3B) by August with Mountcastle getting DH and 1B ABs with Mancini. While that lineup won't win any awards, it's one that'll be exciting to watch down the stretch. Obviously, they won't all pan out, but it would be nice to see the upside everyday.

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The write-up was pre-season 2018, and didn't include his very good 2018 AA season.  .251/.356/.447/.804 with 22 SB and 15HR.  

I think it may. The writeup says he was preseason #26, and now he is ranked 19. Definite upward mobility. 

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I know some are not happy. (Not you)

The doom and gloomers, didnt believe the team was going to try and sign international players, and they can sit back and claim they were right all along.

I like to think, they tried and lost, maybe they didnt try hard enough. I wasn't there as the fly on the wall.

Nor was my sister's boyfriend's cousin on his mother's side, twice divorced. :)

They need a SS, to play at the major league level in 2019, and this is a body that might be able to get it done. Nothing more than that.

ST invite and lets see what happens.

Archived