O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

interloper

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think he can hit enough to stick in the outfield?

Who knows? The athleticism is there to do whatever he wants. Will he make adjustments and work his butt off? And will that be enough, who knows. He has played some OF, and a move like that can free their mind up with some guys. Middle infielders have a lot of responsibilities, and the grind can get to you. Some guys move into the OF and just take off. 

It may be something mental. It may be some minor adjustments in approach. It may be a vision thing. But we will have a chance to find out a lot about this kid and what Mike Elias has in store. Like I said, Chris Taylor couldn’t hit his way out of a paper bag before going to LA. And I’d rather have Jackson and Martin out there than Engelb Vielma or Tim Beckham. 

If he can’t adjust, or at least show aptitude, in Spring, waive him and send him back.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think Jackson should be tried in the OF. His throwing motion is that of an OF, and that is a cannon. Maybe he can enjoy a Chris Taylor type reinvention of himself at the plate. Maybe not, but I like the move. 

What I like is that is OBP hovers 100 points over his batting average. 

His strikeouts are a little higher 20-25% of his ABs ...but he's walking at a 12.5 % clip.

If he can adapt permanently to hitting to all fields and manage a .270 BA, .370 OBP,  and perhaps a 450 SLG he'd be a nice player with 20 stolen bases at the top of the order (1 or 2)

59 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

You guys think this means they trade Villar? 

They could let Wilkerson and Valera battle for 2nd and then Martin and Jackson play SS. Not sure it improves the team but I don't see a way they fit both on the roster with Villar on there.

I think out of the 2 rule 5's, one will "win" a "utilty" role. Valera and Wilkerson will battle for 2nd base with Villar at short. But Villar will slide to second occasionally and allow either Martin or Jackson to play short maybe twice a week.

11 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

You guys think this means they trade Villar? 

They could let Wilkerson and Valera battle for 2nd and then Martin and Jackson play SS. Not sure it improves the team but I don't see a way they fit both on the roster with Villar on there.

My guess is that Elias is hoping trade Villar in July for prospects.  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I guess is that Elias is hoping trade Villar in July for prospects.  

I hope Villar is the start of extending our young guys before they reach free agency. He's still young and should be in his prime between now and his age 32 or 33 season. 

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I hope Villar is the start of extending our young guys before they reach free agency. He's still young and should be in his prime between now and his age 32 or 33 season. 

???

It is a rebuild. He will be traded. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I believe Villar is traded very shortly.  Soon. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe Villar is traded very shortly.  Soon. 

Perhaps, if we can get full value for him. I’d hate to see us give him away or pick up a few marginal players. 

Do you think that it will be before the season.

I honestly think he starts the season here and if he performs to inflate his value then trade him. If not give him a reasonable 3-4 year extension.

just my 2 cents

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

What I like is that is OBP hovers 100 points over his batting average. 

His strikeouts are a little higher 20-25% of his ABs ...but he's walking at a 12.5 % clip.

If he can adapt permanently to hitting to all fields and manage a .270 BA, .370 OBP,  and perhaps a 450 SLG he'd be a nice player with 20 stolen bases at the top of the order (1 or 2)

Wouldn't that be like a 5 WAR player?  Let's temper our expectations here a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Perhaps, if we can get full value for him. I’d hate to see us give him away or pick up a few marginal players. 

Do you think that it will be before the season.

I honestly think he starts the season here and if he performs to inflate his value then trade him. If not give him a reasonable 3-4 year extension.

just my 2 cents

I believe that the Os will not wish to pay him this season. Yes.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe that the Os will not wish to pay him this season. Yes.

Why do we think they are all that worried about salary, especially with reports they are willing to take on salary for some outfield help? It's already going to be one of their lowest team salaries in recent years.

You have to have SOME big leaguers out there. Villar can at least get on base a little. I agree it makes sense to trade him if the right offer is there, I'm just not sure they're in a rush to. Elias is familiar with him, too. 

We'll see! Each new thing is a little more insight, it's been interesting. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t see Villar as part of the future. It just is a shame because he was the top of the lineup hitter we needed during our run. 

Martin, Jackson, Wilkerson, Valera could be our MI this year. Throw them out there and hopefully we find two league average players. 

I think Villar could be in a similar situation for us like Delino Deshields was for a season. Decent second basement that is going to get a bunch of RBI chances because he’s likely to be batting 3rd. Hopefully that will inflate his trade value. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t see Villar as part of the future. It just is a shame because he was the top of the lineup hitter we needed during our run. 

Martin, Jackson, Wilkerson, Valera could be our MI this year. Throw them out there and hopefully we find two league average players. 

I think Villar could be in a similar situation for us like Delino Deshields was for a season. Decent second basement that is going to get a bunch of RBI chances because he’s likely to be batting 3rd. Hopefully that will inflate his trade value. 

I wouldn't bet on that, that implies that each has a 50% chance of being that type of player.

If you think they all are FV 40 prospects which is optimistic IMO (I have a 35 on Wilkerson and I think Valera as well), then each would have something like a 14% chance of being an average player.

So, if you have four FV 40s, you'd expect 0.56 average regulars. Therefore, if they get one starter out of the group, it'd be a significant win. 

Edit: Also, RBIs don't affect trade value anymore.

Archived