Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This guy was an O who could make a play or two at short.

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-excels-at-shortstop-for-padres

Yup, he could do special things everywhere. No doubt. Different kind of athlete. Not sure he makes the same play that Richie made today, though. The range was shorter with Manny. But no doubt, Manny is spectacular at times.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This guy was an O who could make a play or two at short.

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-excels-at-shortstop-for-padres

Got any of him making those plays for us? I just remember catchable balls making it through the middle. And I still say he wouldn't have gotten to that ball today. Manny does have a heck of an arm though.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Got any of him making those plays for us? I just remember catchable balls making it through the middle. And I still say he wouldn't have gotten to that ball today. Manny does have a heck of an arm though.

Your earlier statement was:

Been waiting to see that from him all year. I can't remember the last time we have had a SS who could make that play.

If he made such a play with the Orioles while playing Shortstop isn't relevant.  He was certainly capable of doing so.

58 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Come on Corn, that’s a fantastic play. Not the greatest play of all time, no, but that is special.That’s a dynamic play and he threw out a fast runner. JJ, Bordy, Cal, Miguel Tejada, and Beckham never made that type of play in an Oriole uniform. All but Beckham were steady yet unspectacular defenders. None of them had the athletic ability to make that play, in my opinion. 

Agree with this. That was eye opening. Manny could have made that play when he was younger.  Just not when he bulked up.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Funny that he robbed Tim Beckham. Beckham could never make that play. 

Actually, I saw Beckham make a play almost exactly like that at a game I attended in August 2017.   I was with hoosiers, who I’m sure would back me up on this.    Beckham’s problem is lack of steadiness, not the inability to make the occasional spectacular play.    

• Thanks 2

I like Martin.

he may not have a future, but he sure has a present. 

I noticed that his throw had a really high arc to it. If he had thrown in a little bit straighter and lower it would’ve been a closer play.

One thing Manny could do it like nobody else Was throw a laser from deep 3rd to 1st while in the air and falling away backwards. That was just amazing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Actually, I saw Beckham make a play almost exactly like that at a game I attended in August 2017.   I was with hoosiers, who I’m sure would back me up on this.    Beckham’s problem is lack of steadiness, not the inability to make the occasional spectacular play.    

I believe you, and I’ll agree he was capable of those kinds of plays, just not consistently capable of making the routine plays. I definitely slighted Tim, and I was wrong. Someone posted a video that was a very nice play similar to the one tonight. Martin is just more athletic and dynamic at SS than even Beckham. Oriole shortstops over the 40 years I have been watching have usually been the steady workman like guys who make the routine plays consistently, but rarely wowed with a dynamic play of that ilk. 

Through the ups and downs, Richie has had periods of time where he has been consistent with the glove and fun to watch overall. His speed and arm, to me, are his best assets. It’s not Manny’s arm, but it’s plus. I like the way he plays, and I can only hope he improves with the bat. His barrel awareness is pretty bad. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Actually, I saw Beckham make a play almost exactly like that at a game I attended in August 2017. I was with hoosiers, who I’m sure would back me up on this. Beckham’s problem is lack of steadiness, not the inability to make the occasional spectacular play.    

o

This might have been it.

The play was more spectacular than it looked ........ Beckham was moving to his left to cover 2nd base when the runner was trying to steal. The batted ball was a hotshot to Beckham's right, so Beckham had to immediately change directions, snare the ball with his backhand, regain his balance, and then throw it to Schoop in the opposite direction for the force.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-tim-beckham-looks-to-improve-defense-c251702676

o

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This might have been it.

The play was more spectacular than it looked ........ Beckham was moving to his left to cover 2nd base when the runner was trying to steal. The batted ball was a hotshot to Beckham's right, so Beckham had to immediately change directions, snare the ball with his backhand, regain his balance, and then throw it to Schoop in the opposite direction for the force.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-tim-beckham-looks-to-improve-defense-c251702676

o

No, that’s not the one.    Here’s the one I saw, and I have to say, it is very reminiscent of Martin’s play yesterday.   https://mobile.twitter.com/orioles/status/894301319506341888

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

You guys are right I forgot about Beckham. He was capable of the occasional spectacular play, he just botched the routine plays. I never regarded him as a true SS, but I acknowledge he played the position briefly.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

No, that’s not the one.    Here’s the one I saw, and I have to say, it is very reminiscent of Martin’s play yesterday.   https://mobile.twitter.com/orioles/status/894301319506341888

Definitely a nice play. Where was the runner? Was that the VMart play? 

Part of the impressive nature of Richie’s play for me yesterday was the fact he threw out a speedy runner hustling down the line. Swaggy T still made a nice play there though. Great memory.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:41 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I think he was trying...trying to be funny and clever.  

I think if you've been posting here for any amount of time, you probably have posts you'd look back on and cringe at.  Except if you're @Frobby. :)   Everyone's said some stuff they regret and probably looks bad in hindsight.

I'll drink to that! And have.....

10 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Definitely a nice play. Where was the runner? Was that the VMart play? 

Part of the impressive nature of Richie’s play for me yesterday was the fact he threw out a speedy runner hustling down the line. Swaggy T still made a nice play there though. Great memory.

It was Miggy Cabrera.    And as you saw, he wasn’t even in the picture.   Beckham did make a very strong throw, anyway.     It was the final play of the game, which is why I remembered it so well.  The game also featured back-to-back-to-back homers by the O’s in the first inning.   

• Upvote 1