Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Than why did Roch report that the O's offer wasn't competitive with the Marlins' offer?

If it's clear and all, because I'm still kinda fuzzy on how it can be VVM or bust and then you give the player an offer you know is less than a competitor can offer.

You are still talking about VVM.  You are drawing connections from the VVM debacle to Elias and his control.  That doesn't make any sense.

It's like, someone bought a bushel of apples for a fruit salad, got home and realized they didn't have any other fruit.  

Now some other random person inherits those apples but they are getting kind of old.  So they are like,  I will trade one for a banana, and you are over here yelling at that person for not making a fruit salad.

What do you honestly think happened here.  Elias comes in and the owners are like, you have to trade this pool money?  Or maybe you think that he was only told he could only spend $X dollars for international free agents?  I guarantee you, Elias came in, said what's my operating budget, and decided that he did not want to spend the total pool internationally so got something for the allotment.  Baseball decision.  Not an owner decision.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As someone else asked, than why did the Phillies trade for it?  The slots are good for another six months.

Because they may have a guy they would like to sign but don't have any money to do it.  Just because one team sees a guy that they like that doesn't mean they are smarter then other.  Why did some teams that have roster space pass on this draft while teams after them selected a player.  Why do teams in the NFL draft trade their picks when another team trades up to get a guy. There is just as good a chance that Elias liked both Martin and  Jackson and just liked Martin a little better but liked Jackson and had knowlege that a team coming up shortly would take him so he decided to move up to get him.

How much int’l money do the Phillies have left? Can is making the point that the Phillies think it has value; perhaps some does, but I can’t imagine there is value in all $6 million we have sitting around. Thus, maybe they want to spend a little money, and don’t have it available. We still have more money than we can almost certainly dream of spending in this timeframe. The money has different present values to each organization.

This is a silly thread. 

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You are still talking about VVM.  You are drawing connections from the VVM debacle to Elias and his control.  That doesn't make any sense.

It's like, someone bought a bushel of apples for a fruit salad, got home and realized they didn't have any other fruit.  

Now some other random person inherits those apples but they are getting kind of old.  So they are like,  I will trade one for a banana, and you are over here yelling at that person for not making a fruit salad.

What do you honestly think happened here.  Elias comes in and the owners are like, you have to trade this pool money?  Or maybe you think that he was only told he could only spend $X dollars for international free agents?  I guarantee you, Elias came in, said what's my operating budget, and decided that he did not want to spend the total pool internationally so got something for the allotment.  Baseball decision.  Not an owner decision.

I think he was told we are only willing to spend X on the international market.  I don't think Elias has the power to distribute the total funds as he sees fit.  I think he has a group of smaller pools instead of one large pool.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he was told we are only willing to spend X on the international market.  I don't think Elias has the power to distribute the total funds as he sees fit.  I think he has a group of smaller pools instead of one large pool.

I bet you are wrong. I bet he is imploding the total expenditure on his own. Like any good turnaround artist. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the life of me, I can't see any reason to believe that Elias wants to spend $6 million on international free agents in this signing period.  This is the part of your theory that just seems off base to me.  I don't think that he has been told he can't spend it, I think it is pretty obvious that he won't spend that much because there simply aren't any international free agents worthy of that kind of money still available to sign this signing period.

13 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

How much int’l money do the Phillies have left? Can is making the point that the Phillies think it has value; perhaps some does, but I can’t imagine there is value in all $6 million we have sitting around. Thus, maybe they want to spend a little money, and don’t have it available. We still have more money than we can almost certainly dream of spending in this timeframe. The money has different present values to each organization.

This is a silly thread. 

This is a silly thread, but a repository for thoughts someone though vital elsewhere. 

Archived