Reminder: Official Press Conference Monday Noon

Going Underground

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What exactly does that mean, coming from a manager?   I understand the term when it comes from the GM talking about doing a rebuild.    Not sure how that goes into practice for a manager.    Thoughts?

Maybe quicker hooks third time through the order for starters, even if the outcomes on the first 18 batters faced have been good. 

Hyde will have lots of latitude to manage reliever rest according to any schedule judged good to maximize performance - the days of Brach type guys needing to pitch 5 days a week will be off for awhile.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What exactly does that mean, coming from a manager?   I understand the term when it comes from the GM talking about doing a rebuild.    Not sure how that goes into practice for a manager.    Thoughts?

I think he's just referencing the collaborative nature of what is about to occur. It's a process that is about developing players. I don't see this as him talking about anything specific to managing games. 

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That's always neat to see. We forget sometimes that some of these guys are fans of the game too. Looks like a good hire. There will be some growing pains for sure but I'm glad we're going with a first time manager who can grow with the team. Maybe he won't be the guy that is there when we're ready to compete but it would be neat if he grew with us similiar to how his mentor Maddon did with Tampa.

If Buck did anything better in his press conference it was that he told haggard and exhausted Baltimore fans exactly what they needed to hear. It was a wonder to watch; a masterful but all the same genuine performance. 

But Brandon doesn't need to do that because we are not mired in 14 consecutive losing seasons. We've tasted the playoffs again, we have a new leader in Elias who is trying to drag the organization into the present and most fans agree with that approach. To do what Buck did I think would have come across insincere. We know he's a rookie, he knows he's a rookie. He stuck to telling you what his strengths are and promising a healthy collaboration with the GM. Something that was not at play with Buck and Dan. 

I just think it's fascinating, the differences at play here. 

Archived