Mancini is an average defensive left fielder according to UZR

wildcard

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catch_probability_leaderboard

Statcast has him at -10 Outs Above Average in 2018. That was 81st out of 87th qualified outfielders. Catch probability numbers may not be perfect but I'm curious to hear a critique of them that could excuse Mancini all the way up to average. 

I'll agree. You could not make that case. And I still think the defensive metrics are porous and unusual. Especially framing. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's another input 'I consider alongside the defensive metrics.

Minor league games by position: 458 at 1B, 0 at OF.  If the scouts and org thought he had a modicum of natural talent for OF, I imagine they would have tried to develop it.  That the results have been what they've been is probably about what you'd expect making a non-outfielder play the position.

Great job by Mancini to have hit his way to the majors, and frankly I'm curious to see if he can find an extra half gear hitting once he moves past having to try and survive in LF on a regular basis.  A poor man's version of Eric Karros's career is probably his best case outcome if the hopeless LF attempt has indeed taxed his hitting a bit.

Earl in Weaver on Strategy talked about using guys for what they're good at, and shielding them from what they aren't.  That's not been what Mancini's experienced up here.

Congratulations. Magnificent. 

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I year ago?  Really.  You wasted your time finding that one.  That was before this year.  Coming off his rookie year.  He progressed a lot in the field during that year.   You really showed me something with this post.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:31 AM, wildcard said:

Mancini ranks 6th in RF and  7th in Fielding Pct out on 14  LF qualifier according to ESPN.   How much more average can you get.  This agrees with my eye test.      You can have your advance fielding stats.  For the most part I think they suck.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/lf/sort/rangeFactor

2 minutes ago, POR said:

Yes and so far this thread shows the same thing.  UZR and advance defensive stats suck.

I remember in 2014  Jones and Markakis were playing well in CF and RF but  the advance stats almost always said they played like dodo.   It was the defensive stats that were dodo.

Now in this thread what you guys are really telling me is that Fangraphs takes a bunch of data and spits out UZR numbers that  does not reflect what  Mancini is doing on the field.     

Just another pile from for Fangraphs.

Archived