Rank the #1 Draft Disappointments

now

Rank the #1 Draft Disappointments  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been most disappointing to you as a #1 draft choice, over the last 20 years? (objective or subjective) (multiple choices possible)

• 2016 Cody Sedlock
    • 2013 Hunter Harvey
    • 2012 Kevin Gausman
    • 2011 Dylan Bundy
    • 2009 Matt Hopgood
    • 2008 Brian Matusz
    • 2007 Matt Wieters
    • 2006 Billy Rowell
    • 2004 Wade Townsend
    • 2002 Adam Loewen

I voted for Hobgood, and for the reason he was the most disappointing pick, although Chris Smith gets a lot of consideration there.

Rowell should get the most disappointing player and person.

Matusz did disappoint a great deal and underachieved in the major leagues. 

But I think Adam Loewen disappointed me the most, now that I ponder it. He was a big power lefty that was going to be a 10-15 year stud. And he was going to come quickly. Injuries just killed his career. What a shame. Really not his fault.

Oh, and thanks for creating this thread. Christmas depression has now formally set in. lol

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How is 18 WAR, 4-time all star, 2-time Gold Glove “almost replacement level?”   Wieters was very good, just not great.    Really, the expectations placed on him came from his 2008 MiL season in A+/AA; he was highly regarded on draft day but not seen the same way as after the ‘08 season.   

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.  Some people have never been able to separate what they thought a player was supposed to be versus what they actually did.  So he never managed to fulfill the "Mauer with power" crap.  Wieters gave 8 years, Gold Gloves, and a track record of being one of the best catchers in franchise history.  I know the O's don't have a lengthy list of exceptional catchers, Chris Hoiles had a short but impactful career while Rick Dempsey had a long albeit "steady" career.  Wieters was somewhere in between the two, and while we all wish he'd have reached a higher level, out of all the first round picks to complain about over the last two decades, after Manny Machado he's honestly the one I'd least complain about.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I am sure players like Rowell were part of the reason.

I doubt that.  If you won't take an outfielder because you know of an outfielder that busted, who can we draft?  What position exists that hasn't had a bust?   Should we just pass?

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I doubt that.  If you won't take an outfielder because you know of an outfielder that busted, who can we draft?  What position exists that hasn't had a bust?   Should we just pass?

I wasn't talking him being an outfielder.  I was talking about them both being short season guys from the north who didn't face a lot of quality opposition.

Why would you think I was talking about outfielders?

10 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Maybe better scouts and scouting information would help them advoid drafting the wrong player.

I know, its not an exact science, but some teams do seam to do it better than others.

Don't know, maybe because they are both outfielders.  I'm not aware of the full list of similarities between Trout and Rowell.  Sorry, I don't know every detail about players such as who their high school coach was, what day of the week they were born, or what grade they earned in Algebra 2.  Perhaps for us less-learned folks you can grace us with such information when positing an opinion of who to draft in the future to avoid the possibility of simpletons such as I misunderstanding your exact meaning.

Just now, Number5 said:

Don't know, maybe because they are both outfielders.  I'm not aware of the full list of similarities between Trout and Rowell.  Sorry, I don't know every detail about players such as who their high school coach was, what day of the week they were born, or what grade they earned in Algebra 2.  Perhaps for us less-learned folks you can grace us with such information when positing an opinion of who to draft in the future to avoid the possibility of simpletons such as I misunderstanding your exact meaning.

I'll take your request under advisement.

You could have simply asked me for clarification in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take your request under advisement.

You could have simply asked me for clarification in the first place.

Keep in mind, it wasn't just the Orioles that thought the world of Rewel:

Baseball America deemed him the third best "pure hitter" among high school ballplayers this year, and the second best power hitter. Both Baseball America and USA Today named him a first team All-American.

Archived