Normalcy

Frobby

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Was thinking about picking up Astroball the other day, is it worth the read?

Highly recommended! I saw it mentioned here a few weeks back, ordered it on Kindle, and read it eagerly. Lots of insight into the Houston "process" and background going back to St. Louis days of Elias and Mejdal. Plus some unexpected tidbits like the veteran savvy of Beltran and Verlander stirred into the success formula. 

21 minutes ago, now said:

Highly recommended! I saw it mentioned here a few weeks back, ordered it on Kindle, and read it eagerly. Lots of insight into the Houston "process" and background going back to St. Louis days of Elias and Mejdal. Plus some unexpected tidbits like the veteran savvy of Beltran and Verlander stirred into the success formula. 

So... veteranosity is a real thing? Whoda thunk it!

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

They're doing everything right so far.  I should know better than to get my hopes up, but I can't help it.  

Anyone on this message board, particularly at this time of year, is either missing a straight jacket or their calling as a motivational speaker. 

10 hours ago, scOtt said:

So... veteranosity is a real thing? Whoda thunk it!

It doesn’t shock me. What I like about what Elias and now Hyde have talked about is combining analytics with the human element. Sometimes imo I feel the analytics/sabr crowd misses the human element. Hyde said something I really liked about building up relationships before the games are played. That matters. 

2 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

It doesn’t shock me. What I like about what Elias and now Hyde have talked about is combining analytics with the human element. Sometimes imo I feel the analytics/sabr crowd misses the human element. Hyde said something I really liked about building up relationships before the games are played. That matters. 

I know we've got the warm fuzzies going on right now and we're early on in the honeymoon stage but...I'd be shocked if any GM/Manager didn't build relationships before the games are played.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching the Elias and Hyde press conferences and interviews the last few weeks, I’m very excited, and one of the things that excites me is....normalcy.   

We have a GM who is personable, well liked and on the cutting edge.   He communicates very well.   He’s made it very clear that he prioritizes having everyone on the same page.    And now, we have a manager that the GM hand-picked, who is seen as an extension of the front office, and very much appears to be on the same page as the guy who hired him.   

And yes, that should be par for the course in a major league organization.   But it hasn’t been the case here, and I’m happy and frankly relieved that we finally have a “normal” organization.    And I hope, headed for outstanding.   

It's certainly refreshing (and a good start), but as they say, the proof will be in the pudding. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know we've got the warm fuzzies going on right now and we're early on in the honeymoon stage but...I'd be shocked if any GM/Manager didn't build relationships before the games are played.  

Oh I’m sure Moose but that he emphasized it shows to me it’s something important to them. I really believe that building relationships helps build trust. When I trained the law students at the law firm I worked at, I tried to get to know them as people. I just think we have to be aware of the human element of sports. Yes these guys are being paid better than we are but their basic human psychological makeup isn’t different really.

1 minute ago, Palmoripken said:

Oh I’m sure Moose but that he emphasized it shows to me it’s something important to them. I really believe that building relationships helps build trust. When I trained the law students at the law firm I worked at, I tried to get to know them as people. I just think we have to be aware of the human element of sports. Yes these guys are being paid better than we are but their basic human psychological makeup isn’t different really.

Yep, I agree.  

I wasn't totally impressed with Hyde yesterday.  Not bashing him by any stretch, I'm just not super giddy about anything he said.  

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, I agree.  

I wasn't totally impressed with Hyde yesterday.  Not bashing him by any stretch, I'm just not super giddy about anything he said.  

That's fair enough. What's interesting is what we're going from in managers. Someone really experienced who got his first managing job before I was born to someone who was in the MiL when I was a kid. Hyde in fact would have been a young kid on the mid 90's O's teams I grew up on. One thing I do like about the hire in general though, I am glad that Elias didn't go with someone from Houston. Not that Houston hasn't been successful obviously but we can learn from the Cubs too. I just hope this works out. I'm dying to see a pennant in my lifetime. Have came close only twice.

Archived