Teams are asking about Bundy

byrdz

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Given Bundy's age, service time, and former prospect status, (plus the fact he had an unsustainably high home run rate and his K/BB numbers were similar to Clevinger, Foltynewicz, and Berrios) his stock probably isn't nearly as low as many here think it is. Teams don't use ERA to value pitchers, they project performance going forward based on a bunch of inputs including batted ball data, exit velocity allowed, pitch velocity, K rate, BB rate, spin rate, etc. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving him away, there would have to be a quality return. The harm in waiting is him getting hurt or losing more velocity. 

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but at the end of day, it's the potential return that should determine whether Bundy should be moved or not. If a team offers a player or two that the Orioles project will be part of a winning team here in 3-4 years, then yes, you make that trade. If they are not getting much in return, then you hold onto Bundy until you either think he's maxed his value or you need his rotation spot for a pitcher that could be part of a winning future here.

I'd move him or anyone else on this roster in the right deal. There are no untouchables on the 40-man roster, but Elias will need to determine the max future value he can get for guys who will most likely not be part of that core in 3-5 years.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A much improved defense should help Bundy’s value. We could have pretty slick fielding IF with more speed in the OF. Especially if we could somehow trade Trumbo. Which would free up DH for Mancini. 

Just throw the best defense out there. At least we could help the young pitchers and build up Cobb, Bundy, and Cashner’s trade value. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A much improved defense should help Bundy’s value. We could have pretty slick fielding IF with more speed in the OF. Especially if we could somehow trade Trumbo. Which would free up DH for Mancini. 

Just throw the best defense out there. At least we could help the young pitchers and build up Cobb, Bundy, and Cashner’s trade value. 

Teams are smarter than that.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do you think teams don't assess the effect of team defense before making a decision that will have $10+M in consequences? Teams aren't fooled by good defense or bad defense. There is so much data for them to look at and measure the quality of contact allowed to go along with standard fielding independent stats. 

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Do you think teams don't assess the effect of team defense before making a decision that will have $10+M in consequences? Teams aren't fooled by good defense or bad defense. There is so much data for them to look at and measure the quality of contact allowed to go along with standard fielding independent stats. 

That's what I said!  (Mobile version)

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Gausman is a good pitcher.  He isnt an ace but he is a solid starter and puts up good numbers every year.

I agree, he's a second half pitcher for certain. And he never seems to be hurt. I am positive that the Orioles got the best deal for him that they could while offloading the salaries which appear to have been a priority. 

Also in what world is Bundy not cheap?  You cant get a starting pitcher of any value on free agent market for his salary.  Look what we are paying Cashner.

The Orioles need to put more than a bad AAA team out there.  Rebuilding doesn't require to be historically bad team. If that is what anyone is planning they shouldn't be in charge.

A minor league contract with invite and one or two minion dollars in escalation. 

I like how everytime Bundys value us down people on here want him traded. When his value has been up he is untradeable from the same people.

Not me. As soon as the team was no longer competitive I say let him rip. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

A minor league contract with invite and one or two minion dollars in escalation. 

Yeah you wouldn't save money as most of the guys you signed to the contract wouldn't get anyone out.  You have innings that need to be pitched. 

12 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Its one thing to project how a pitcher would pitch with better defense and the whole different thing to see the actual results when it happens.  IMO throwing fewer pitches per inning is a huge deal that better defense allows to happen.   It could make Bundy's pitches better if he doesn't have to struggle through long innings caused by poor defense.  .

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its one thing to project how a pitcher would pitch with better defense and the whole different thing to see the actual results when it happens.  IMO throwing fewer pitches per inning is a huge deal that better defense allows to happen.   It could make Bundy's pitches better if he doesn't have to struggle through long innings caused by poor defense.  .

No

The ridiculousness of the posts in this thread is beyond amazing. To put forth that a pitcher has no more value after a good season than a bad one makes me think people have no clue about anything. The Astros tried to trade Dallas Keuchel after 2012 and 2013 season and no one wanted him no matter how little the price.  He now has many suitors at huge contract offerings.  

All you guys when Bundy was first a prospect were saying dont trade Bundy no matter what the offer.  Then he got injured and you were ready to off load him for a bag of balls. Then He had success in majors and you guys were back to never trading him. He has a bad season and he isnt worth a minimal contract.

If the team can turn Bundy around and he can pitch well his value will be much greater than it is now.  

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No one disputes the defense is bad. If you look at his stats since 2016, other than K rate, he's regressed as a SP. That's not all on the defense and they're not responsible for giving up 41 HR last year. His FB velocity has dropped from 94.6mph in '16  to 91.6mph last year. I'm not sure what the answer is to fixing his issues but he certainly doesn't feel or look like anything more than a back of the rotation SP right now.

Archived