Idle trade speculation - Givens for Ryan McMahon

Just Regular

As inspired by the Rockies landing Daniel Murphy.

Organizationally I see some Rockies-Orioles parallels, with Arenado's 2019 walk year being like Machado's 2018.

They're good-ish, but not so good they can count on cruising to a playoff berth.  They've given relievers big bucks, indicating a willing to build a team around a strong pen, and are probably losing Ottavino.  Davis, Shaw, McGee and Dunn are already making $39M next year, so they perhaps don't have many more financial resources for their bullpen.  Catcher's a black hole, and Brendan Rodgers might get them into the Realmuto bidding.

In the podcast and analytic echo chambers, I've heard them discussed alongside the recent Orioles whenever "Who are the teams left who don't get it?" are mentioned.

McMahon's just a ballpark centerpiece guess, and even his timeline might be too soon for the next good Orioles team - I just see a team that might be in the right spot to be a Givens buyer sooner rather than later, and could even be tempted to "make a mistake" being sentimental about Arenado's 2019.

I don't think Givens gets Rodgers in play, but might make the call to see if Givens and Bundy together could if Realmuto ends up somewhere else.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:21 AM, OrioleDog said:

As inspired by the Rockies landing Daniel Murphy.

Organizationally I see some Rockies-Orioles parallels, with Arenado's 2019 walk year being like Machado's 2018.

They're good-ish, but not so good they can count on cruising to a playoff berth.  They've given relievers big bucks, indicating a willing to build a team around a strong pen, and are probably losing Ottavino.  Davis, Shaw, McGee and Dunn are already making $39M next year, so they perhaps don't have many more financial resources for their bullpen.  Catcher's a black hole, and Brendan Rodgers might get them into the Realmuto bidding.

In the podcast and analytic echo chambers, I've heard them discussed alongside the recent Orioles whenever "Who are the teams left who don't get it?" are mentioned.

McMahon's just a ballpark centerpiece guess, and even his timeline might be too soon for the next good Orioles team - I just see a team that might be in the right spot to be a Givens buyer sooner rather than later, and could even be tempted to "make a mistake" being sentimental about Arenado's 2019.

I don't think Givens gets Rodgers in play, but might make the call to see if Givens and Bundy together could if Realmuto ends up somewhere else.

I like your thinking here but am not sure if McMahon is the guy we want for the exact reasons you mentioned. Maybe Cobb for McMahon if they agree to take on all of Cobbs remaining salary? Though I heard he had a partial no-trade and would have to think Colorado is on his forbidden list. 

Givens could have a ton of value come deadline time as a “closer” or a set up man on a team compiling a super bullpen for the playoffs. Then make Castro the closer and repeat the process. Hopefully Blieir comes back healthy and is one of the top LH RPs on the market as well. 

It’s always a good idea to flip relievers for full time players. Especially with a team that isn’t winning. 

Archived