House released! (Headed To Boston?)

Frobby

Albeit overpaid, he was serviceable last season. Certainly not a player dragging the team down w/his ineptitude. So you would be writing off somewhere along the lines of $12-14m based on 200 ABs. That just isn't realistic no matter how smart or dumb the GM is.

I'd write off $12-$14M based on his last calendar year. Since July 6th, 2006 Gibbons has a .682 OPS and seven homers in over 400 PAs. For a DH that's abysmal. 2005 was the last time he was an average-hitting corner player. 2005 is a long time ago.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you do think we need all 3 of Gomez, Bynum, and Fahey now?:confused: We always have at least one on the bench, plus Huff can play 3rd if need be.

No, of course not. A creative manager could get by with one of them, and use Mora at short, Huff at third when they pinch hit for Bynum or Gomez in the late innings. (And I'd really take Bynum over Gomez.)

No, of course not. A creative manager could get by with one of them, and use Mora at short, Huff at third when they pinch hit for Bynum or Gomez in the late innings. (And I'd really take Bynum over Gomez.)

Bynum starting to make a believer out of you too?

I'd write off $12-$14M based on his last calendar year. Since July 6th, 2006 Gibbons has a .682 OPS and seven homers in over 400 PAs. For a DH that's abysmal. 2005 was the last time he was an average-hitting corner player. 2005 is a long time ago.

It is indeed. But I still think it's premature to release him outright. In a lot of ways Gibbons reminds me of a poor man's Paul Konerko. A few years ago where he has lost his swing. If you were running the White Sox would I be safe to assume you'd of wanted to release Konerko in mid 2003? If I remember correctly his numbers were so bad over about a calendar year that Gibbons .682 makes him look like a slugger in comparison. He got it turned around and has been a decent player since. Give me another 200 ABs before I'm convinced that he'll never be an .800-.825 OPS guy again.

FFS, Last year Terrero, this year House.. I've never thought either of them would cure the O's problems but they both definitely earned the chance to see if they could help out the big club.. WTF is wrong with the front office? Frankly makes me sick. Seems like there's a guy that may only be a AAAA guy doing well every year that never gets the shot they deserve. Then we sit around here wondering why the O's are full of sub par free agents.

It is indeed. But I still think it's premature to release him outright. In a lot of ways Gibbons reminds me of a poor man's Paul Konerko. A few years ago where he has lost his swing. If you were running the White Sox would I be safe to assume you'd of wanted to release Konerko in mid 2003? If I remember correctly his numbers were so bad over about a calendar year that Gibbons .682 makes him look like a slugger in comparison. He got it turned around and has been a decent player since. Give me another 200 ABs before I'm convinced that he'll never be an .800-.825 OPS guy again.

And there's the Orioles in a nutshell - they're goofing around, hoping against hope that Jay Gibbons can somehow arrest his freefall and once again become a barely adequate DH.

Konerko clearly had one anomalous year with a .700 OPS, stuck in the middle of a bunch of .850+'s. Counting this year Gibbons has more years in the .600s than he does in the .800s. He truly is the kind of player you can sign as a minor league free agent. He is no better than Knott, House, Cust, or Terrero. At this moment he's worse than all four of them, and you have a lot more faith than I do that he'll one day return to being Luis Terrero.

Minor league numbers predict major league performance equally as well as past major league numbers. J.R. House was the Baltimore Orioles 5th, 6th, 7th-best hitter. Somewhere in that range. I have absolutely no reservations making that statement.

If it is all about stats then why do teams waste money on scouts?

Rumor has it that JR House asked for his release so he could join another team that has interest in him. The team rumored to be none other than the Red Sox. If that's the case, there's no fathomable defense for saying that a team with the best record in baseball can find use for a guy that has no use on one of the worst.

Rumor has it that JR House asked for his release so he could join another team that has interest in him. The team rumored to be none other than the Red Sox. If that's the case, there's no fathomable defense for saying that a team with the best record in baseball can find use for a guy that has no use on one of the worst.

If thats true then I hope he joins them and lights up the orioles for the next five to ten years. Seriously how can our two gms be so dumb? Are they really this incompetent? It would be interesting to hear their reasoning for the moves they have made over the past several years Cust, Fahey over Terrero, Bako, Baez just to get some kind of idea what they are thinking.

If thats true then I hope he joins them and lights up the orioles for the next five to ten years. Seriously how can our two gms be so dumb? Are they really this incompetent? It would be interesting to hear their reasoning for the moves they have made over the past several years Cust, Fahey over Terrero, Bako, Baez just to get some kind of idea what they are thinking.

I'll bet you JR House won't even be in baseball in 5 years.

Honestly, I'd love it if this happened. I want House to go to Boston and I want him to rake. I want the O's to see 19 times a year just how foolish they were for not giving this guy a shot.

Cust, Terrero, House...why do we even pick these guys up if we're not going to give them a fair shot?

Honestly, I'd love it if this happened. I want House to go to Boston and I want him to rake. I want the O's to see 19 times a year just how foolish they were for not giving this guy a shot.

Cust, Terrero, House...why do we even pick these guys up if we're not going to give them a fair shot?

If he makes it to Boston's roster he will not catch. Mirabelli is Wakefield's personal catcher. Cust should of had a better shot but I think the rest of these players are nothing to worry about.

I'll bet you JR House won't even be in baseball in 5 years.

Maybe but I can tell you without a doubt, neither will Gibbons, Bynum, Fahey, Gomez, Bako, and Millar.

With House there is the potential for him to be a solid Major league contributer, with most of his prime years ahead of him. With the players above you can't say that, in fact during their best years the Os will be lucky to get league average production out of them, and our dynamic duo is too dense to see it.

What makes it all the worse is that while Cust is shredding, and Terrero would look really good in CF they aren't learning from their mistakes at all. I not annointing House or Knott as a savior of the franchise or anything but they should have got 200 at bats like Fahey had last year to show something.

If he makes it to Boston's roster he will not catch. Mirabelli is Wakefield's personal catcher. Cust should of had a better shot but I think the rest of these players are nothing to worry about.

Maybe not, but look who we've got. Could House really be THAT bad defensively that he doesn't deserve a shot over Bako? Is Knott really THAT much worse a hitter than Gibbons? These guys deserved a chance and we didn't give them one (well, at least we still have Knott). It's a joke.

Archived