Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Because it is Dempsey or Brady and that is a tunnel into the OLD ways!

You joke, but I mean, yeah. If we're dragging this corpse of a franchise into the future, let's really do it. Let's purge all these old idiots. Brady is not an idiot, though, he just needs constraints. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, weams said:

We also now see that Dempsey is Roch's inside source. As there really is not one else to leak. 

You can really tell just how little Roch is in the loop. I mean, there was no indication whatsoever that he (or any of the beat reporters, to be fair) knew about Koby Perez before the Orioles tweeted it. His posts have had just a faintest hint of salt regarding the new regime and it's kind of funny.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

You joke, but I mean, yeah. If we're dragging this corpse of a franchise into the future, let's really do it. Let's purge all these old idiots. Brady is not an idiot, though, he just needs constraints. 

I think you are way to concerned about something none of us really understand. Sometimes it's ok to let the interference appear out in front of everything.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well like I said, I'm not so much worried about the instruction Wynns received. Sure, strengthen your calves. I bet he hasn't heard that before as a catcher. Balls of your feet. Wow, incredible insight. This is all stuff Wynns and his *real* coaches know. So the kid will be fine. I don't care so much about the specifics of instruction because, like you said, he's probably a backup catcher. And, crucially, he's not a pitcher.

What I don't like is a free-wheeling Rick Dempsey - or anyone, really - going around outside of the purview of our actual coaching staff. Yes, players work with random people, fine fine. It's not as bad as the Brady thing, sure, I'll accept that. I just want a tightly-run ship for once. Rick Dempsey getting his rocks off thinking he's a catching great spouting old timey ideas is not my idea of a tightly run ship. Put this idiot back in his TV box. 

It's the idea that ex-players are able to provide instruction that is based on no actual fact that worries me. Thankfully this is not Rick teaching our possible future #1 pick catcher. But it could be! And I don't like that. Rick is not a coach. 

I think what you are missing is that this type of thing goes on all the time.  Players work with retired players, active players, current and former coaches of different teams, conditioning gurus, etc. every off season.  I think you really are going off the deep end over a non-issue.  Also, you may want to consider relying less on dWAR to evaluate catchers.  It isn't a very reliable metric.

Just now, interloper said:

You can really tell just how little Roch is in the loop. I mean, there was no indication whatsoever that he (or any of the beat reporters, to be fair) knew about Koby Perez before the Orioles tweeted it. His posts have had just a faintest hint of salt regarding the new regime.

No one from this organization is feeding him yet. For certain. 

Just now, Number5 said:

I think what you are missing is that this type of thing goes on all the time.  Players work with retired players, active players, current and former coaches of different teams, conditioning gurus, etc. every off season.  I think you really are going off the deep end over a non-issue.  Also, you may want to consider relying less on dWAR to evaluate catchers.  It isn't a very reliable metric.

dWAR stinks. 

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Was he? I don't know. He amassed 17.4 dWAR in 23 years of playing. He has 17.8 oWAR.

Dempsey has an argument for being the best catcher in Orioles history despite hitting a little like Ryan Flaherty.  It's close between him and Chris Hoiles, who had a short career and was not a good defensive catcher.

Although that says as much about the franchise's lack of excellent catchers than anything else.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Dempsey has an argument for being the best catcher in Orioles history despite hitting a little like Ryan Flaherty.  It's close between him and Chris Hoiles, who had a short career and was not a good defensive catcher.

Although that says as much about the franchise's lack of excellent catchers than anything else.

He sure had a nice post season one year. 

Archived