Dempsey is helping Austin Wynns

baltfan

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm all for pushing it so far over the top that it's comic genius.  The players won't take it as serious advice, they'll just bust up laughing.  Who's the most absurd living player in Orioles history?  Oh, wait... that's Rick Dempsey.  Not only did he do his rain delay thing, but somewhere I have a VHS tape of him diving into a stream and coming out with a live fish in his mouth.

He was before his time and better then the Ronco Pocket Fisherman.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mom?  Did you hack Frobby's account? 

In all honesty, if there’s an actual reason why I should switch from AOL, let me know.    As long as I can send and receive emails I really don’t care.    There was a period when AOL was charging for membership and other email sites were doing it for free, and admittedly I was too lazy to switch.   But they stopped charging more than a decade ago.

Just now, Frobby said:

In all honesty, if there’s an actual reason why I should switch from AOL, let me know.    As long as I can send and receive emails I really don’t care.    There was a period when AOL was charging for membership and other email sites were doing it for free, and admittedly I was too lazy to switch.   But they stopped charging more than a decade ago.

I'm guessing something like GMail offers more features, but it boils down to whether or not it's worth the hastle (for you) of telling everyone that you've changed your address. I have a really old Hotmail account that people still send stuff to and I changed my email address more than 15 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In all honesty, there's no reason to change if you're happy with what you've got.  I know you're gainfully employed and won't be looking for a job anytime soon, but when I'm looking at someones resume and see @aol.com and they're applying for an IT position somewhere it makes me chuckle.

Here:  https://gizmodo.com/5780416/what-your-email-domain-says-about-you

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

(In response to

THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF RICK DEMPSEY
THE GREATEST CATCHER OF HIS ERA)

Ive seen his name listed among the top 50 catchers ever to play the game.

If we assume his era is just the years he played, he's the 11th-best catcher of 1969-92 by rWAR.  He's almost an exact peer of Gary Carter and Carlton Fisk and Jim Sundberg and Lance Parrish and Bob Boone.  He played at the same time as Thurmon Munson.  I can't imagine an argument for him being anything like as valuable as any of those players.  Maybe Bob Boone, except that Boone had a career that was 500 games longer.  His career also overlapped almost completely with Johnny Bench, and if anyone is arguing that he's better than Johnny Bench they're probably drunk.  He also slightly overlapped Ivan Rodriguez and Mike Piazza, so you could argue that Dempsey's era involved the top five catchers of all time.

If you expand the search to all time, Dempsey is currently 39th in rWAR among players who caught in 80% of their games.  So top 50 isn't a ridiculous claim.  It's hard to accumulate value as a catcher.  Brian McCann, Russell Martin, and Jason Kendall are in the top 25 of all time.  Kendall is actually 14th.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If we assume his era is just the years he played, he's the 11th-best catcher of 1969-92 by rWAR.  He's almost an exact peer of Gary Carter and Carlton Fisk and Jim Sundberg and Lance Parrish and Bob Boone.  He played at the same time as Thurmon Munson.  I can't imagine an argument for him being anything like as valuable as any of those players.  Maybe Bob Boone, except that Boone had a career that was 500 games longer.  His career also overlapped almost completely with Johnny Bench, and if anyone is arguing that he's better than Johnny Bench they're probably drunk.  He also slightly overlapped Ivan Rodriguez and Mike Piazza, so you could argue that Dempsey's era involved the top five catchers of all time.

If you expand the search to all time, Dempsey is currently 39th in rWAR among players who caught in 80% of their games.  So top 50 isn't a ridiculous claim.  It's hard to accumulate value as a catcher.  Brian McCann, Russell Martin, and Jason Kendall are in the top 25 of all time.  Kendall is actually 14th.

I wouldnt argue he was the greatest in his era, just hyperbole, and thats it.

He was very good, and I have no problem with his top 50 ranking.

Archived