Interesting FAs

wildcard

Which one of these deals would you want your team to make.

Brantley 2/32

McCutchen 3/50 

Markakis 2/10 

One guy that couldn't stay healthy for the last three years til this year.  One guy that looked in decline though still has kept his power and then Markakis who had a bounce back year this season. You add in Jones later when he signs and comparing those 4 should be interesting for what they got to what they produced.    

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do you do in July, cut him?

Worry about that when the time comes. There's no guarantee either Hays/Diaz are ready by July. I think Jones could give some value in RF for the time being. He's certainly better than Trumbo defensively and according to some LF is better suited for Stewart's skills anyway. 

7 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Worry about that when the time comes. There's no guarantee either Hays/Diaz are ready by July. I think Jones could give some value in RF for the time being. He's certainly better than Trumbo defensively and according to some LF is better suited for Stewart's skills anyway. 

If Adam was retiring after this year then by all means bring him back. Otherwise why do it? We can’t keep him here forever. I assume he will want to keep playing for awhile. 

I also don’t see Jones accepting a small amount to play here, I can see it some place else where he can contend.  

8 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

I think we should should worry about the long term consequences of any move we make.

Just now, eddie83 said:

If Adam was retiring after this year then by all means bring him back. Otherwise why do it? We can’t keep him here forever. I assume he will want to keep playing for awhile. 

I also don’t see Jones accepting a small amount to play here, I can see it some place else where he can contend.  

Yea, no way Jones picks comfort over playing for a winner.

That would never happen.

Just now, eddie83 said:

Let it go....... Let it go........

I think there is a difference ending things on your terms. 

I'm fine with it, I'm the one that was right.

I just think it's funny that despite being presented with evidence to the contrary folks continue to push the stereotypes.

Players just want the most money.

Players want to play with their friends.

Players want to play on a contender.

Players have all sorts of motivations.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with it, I'm the one that was right.

I just think it's funny that despite being presented with evidence to the contrary folks continue to push the stereotypes.

Players just want the most money.

Players want to play with their friends.

Players want to play on a contender.

Players have all sorts of motivations.

Of course they have different motivations. I’m talking about the current circumstances. 

The Orioles told Jones they were moving on. They wanted to trade him, it became public. 

Now you think after all of that he would entertain coming back here because the market blew up? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Of course they have different motivations. I’m talking about the current circumstances. 

The Orioles told Jones they were moving on. They wanted to trade him, it became public. 

Now you think after all of that he would entertain coming back here because the market blew up? 

Yes.

I'm not sure he has much in the way of other offers and he obviously enjoys living here.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why do it? Because he's a better option than what we've got right now. You're really comfortable with an OF of Mullins, Stewart and Mancini from a defensive standpoint? After seeing what Markakis just signed for he's fine on a 1 yr. deal. If he feels like going to Indians or wherever that's fine too. He's not getting paid like he might of thought he was.

3 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Why do it? Because he's a better option than what we've got right now. You're really comfortable with an OF of Mullins, Stewart and Mancini from a defensive standpoint? After seeing what Markakis just signed for he's fine on a 1 yr. deal. If he feels like going to Indians or wherever that's fine too. He's not getting paid like he might of thought he was.

Markakis went to the playoffs last year also. He probably opts out and gets $2M and then goes back into the market again unless he is awful this year.

I think these are the times to play someone like Stewart before he gets pushed. Let him play and see what you have. Sign a low level veteran to buy some time. Hays and or Diaz could be called up by the second half. Maybe earlier for Hays. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Markakis went to the playoffs last year also. He probably opts out and gets $2M and then goes back into the market again unless he is awful this year.

I think these are the times to play someone like Stewart before he gets pushed. Let him play and see what you have. Sign a low level veteran to buy some time. Hays and or Diaz could be called up by the second half. Maybe earlier for Hays. 

Or call up Santander if you need a warm body.

Archived