Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Halladay 16 years, 203-105, WAR 64.3, ERA+131, 7 top-5 CYA, 2 wins CYA
Mussina 18 years, 270-153,WAR 83.0, ERA+123, 6 top-5 CYA, 0 wins (2nd to Pedro), 7 GGs

One is a slam dunk for first year; the other waits 6 or 7 years.

One died in a plane crash.   Should affect the vote, but it does.   In any event, I’m glad Halladay is in.   

The easiest and probably correct answer would be Machado.  The next list down would be Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, maybe Zach Britton.  AJ and Nick, much as I love those guys and would love to see them in the hall, I can't in good faith recommend them over more deserving candidates to come and those who aren't already in.  If Britton gets healthy and dominant again, maybe one day he'll have a case, but highly unlikely.  After that you'd be talking about Brian Roberts and Miguel Tejada, and I can't see either of them getting in.  Tejada before Roberts, but if it happens it won't be for a long time.

The better question is when the next starting pitcher to make it into the Hall.  Almost 30 years after Mussina was drafted, and the Orioles haven't come anywhere close to drafting and developing next to any major starters, let alone someone with the potential of Mussina.

44 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

The easiest and probably correct answer would be Machado.  The next list down would be Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, maybe Zach Britton.  AJ and Nick, much as I love those guys and would love to see them in the hall, I can't in good faith recommend them over more deserving candidates to come and those who aren't already in.  If Britton gets healthy and dominant again, maybe one day he'll have a case, but highly unlikely.  After that you'd be talking about Brian Roberts and Miguel Tejada, and I can't see either of them getting in.  Tejada before Roberts, but if it happens it won't be for a long time.

The better question is when the next starting pitcher to make it into the Hall.  Almost 30 years after Mussina was drafted, and the Orioles haven't come anywhere close to drafting and developing next to any major starters, let alone someone with the potential of Mussina.

Machado is going to play more than half his career with another club what records he breaks etc if any will all be done elsewhere. No way I see going in as an Orioles.

Jones and Kakes will be inducted into Orioles HOF for but outside of that they’re just in the Hall of very good. 

Personally Britton not that he isn’t good enough but did he produce here long enough to even get into the Oriole Hall of Fame?

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Machado is going to play more than half his career with another club what records he breaks etc if any will all be done elsewhere. No way I see going in as an Orioles.

Jones and Kakes will be inducted into Orioles HOF for but outside of that they’re just in the Hall of very good. 

Personally Britton not that he isn’t good enough but did he produce here long enough to even get into the Oriole Hall of Fame?

I mean it's all subjective, but 8 years with the team, second most saves in team history, in the conversation of best relief pitcher in team history period.  I'd argue he unquestionably deserves to be in the team HOF, but that's just me of course.  

1 hour ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

The easiest and probably correct answer would be Machado.  The next list down would be Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, maybe Zach Britton. 

Manny probably has an 80-90% chance of eventually going in.  He would basically have to fall off the earth like Cesar Cedeno to not go in.

Adam Jones needs to be a reasonably productive player for another five years to have Harold Baines' HOF resume.  By any objective standard Baines is a very weak Hall of Famer.

Zach Britton is 38th on the list of career saves through age 30, with 142.  There are what, five or six relievers in the Hall?  Kimbrel, Francisco Rodriguez, and Huston Street are all about double Britton's save total through his age.  I'd put Britton's HOF chances in the low single digits.

I really like Nick, but even if he plays until he's 40 he's basically Brooks Robinson, if Brooks had been an okay RFer instead of the Human Vacuum Cleaner.  He's a RFer with a 110 OPS+.  Buddy Bell is his #1 comp through age 34, and Buddy Bell didn't play in nearly the hitter's era Nick has. If he plays another 5-6 productive years he could get to the point where his JAWS peers are questionable Vet's Committee selections.  He's currently around half the career value of Dwight Evans, Reggie Smith, and Bobby Abreu.  He's never led the league in any positive offensive category, unless you count sac flies.  So... he could go in if Andy MacPhail, Dan Duquette, and Buck Showalter get themselves on a committee in 2030.

41 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I mean it's all subjective, but 8 years with the team, second most saves in team history, in the conversation of best relief pitcher in team history period.  I'd argue he unquestionably deserves to be in the team HOF, but that's just me of course.  

Rich Dauer is in the Orioles Hall of Fame for playing the equivalent of 7.5 full seasons, posting a .653 OPS, and being a regular on a couple WS teams.  Lee May is in for OPSin'g .722 as a 1B/DH and once leading the league in RBI.  Gene Woodling is in for being an above-average OFer for 3.5 years.  You can pretty much justify anybody.

Since Mussina was elected, Palmeiro should be inducted next year in a class with Barry and Rajah. They all proved that "40 is the new 20," after all.

I have never had much respect for HOF voting, but that the first player to receive 100% on the first ballot is a one-pitch reliever is a travesty. At this point, I encourage the Veterans Committee to elect U L Washington next year.

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Rich Dauer is in the Orioles Hall of Fame for playing the equivalent of 7.5 full seasons, posting a .653 OPS, and being a regular on a couple WS teams.  Lee May is in for OPSin'g .722 as a 1B/DH and once leading the league in RBI.  Gene Woodling is in for being an above-average OFer for 3.5 years.  You can pretty much justify anybody.

Funny, if there were ever a purge of the Orioles Hall of Fame to make it more exclusive, Lee May would be at the top of my list.  I mean, we just had to have what, maybe the 10th best 1st baseman in team history in the club.  

42 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Funny, if there were ever a purge of the Orioles Hall of Fame to make it more exclusive, Lee May would be at the top of my list.  I mean, we just had to have what, maybe the 10th best 1st baseman in team history in the club.  

He went in because he hit 20 homers a year and had a fair number of RBI and played on the '79 team.  By rWAR he's the 9th-best first baseman in team history (that's a stretch since he played less than 50% of his games with the team at first).  By games (with a 40% at first qualifier) he's 5th.  He just couldn't quite eek out Jeff Conine's Oriole career value.  Randy Milligan was much better in 2/3rds the playing time.

He had a .299 OBP with the O's.  And that includes 31 IBBs and 10 HBP.  On his own he got on base like 28% of the time.  

Archived