Esskay Orioles Franks — a Baltimore mainstay — to disappear soon from Camden Yards

Going Underground

While we are discussing food, there is no seafood seasoning that compares to J.O. spices. Created in East Baltimore a century ago and hand mixed in a bathtub originally, crab houses and crab stands alike throughout the Baltimore Metropolitan area have chosen J.O. spices as the only spice to season crabs with. The majority of the participants on this forum have seen the Old Bay can sitting in either their own house or that of an associate. But for those who wish to buy the crab seasoning that we taste when we buy steamed crabs in a restaurant or a carry-out, you will want to drive to J.O.'s singular retail outlet in Halethorpe, just off of Washington Boulevard near 695, to purchase J.O. No. 2 Spice. I prefer the low salt mix -- J.O No. 1 50% Less Salt -- especially for using in recipes such as crabcakes. If you are steaming live crabs, you could add kosher salt to the J.O. No.1 50% Less and enjoy a savory blend that is less homogeneously salty than straight J.O. No. 2.

N.B. I am not an employee of J.O. Spices. The Information above does not make me, nor anyone I know, anything in return. But I recommend that if you can drive to J.O.'s outlet, it's worth every extra penny in flavor.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I was not and I will be on a pilgrimage to find it this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Ooh, you better check that it's still in production.   I know I had it a couple years ago.   Don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Full Tilt seems kind of sparse on the shelves in the stores around here.   Rarely can find many of their beers.   They had a really good pumpkin ale (Patterson Park) a few years ago and I went looking for it in that two week window in October when I drink a few pumpkin beers... and I couldn't find it anywhere.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Ooh, you better check that it's still in production.   I know I had it a couple years ago.   Don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Full Tilt seems kind of sparse on the shelves in the stores around here.   Rarely can find many of their beers.   They had a really good pumpkin ale (Patterson Park) a few years ago and I went looking for it in that two week window in October when I drink a few pumpkin beers... and I couldn't find it anywhere.

I've never been a big fan of the pumpkin ale's, but I like everything else I've tried from Full Tilt. As far as local brews they're probably just behind some the Brewer's Art beers on my list. In all honesty the new Guinness Brewery has cut down on my trips to the City (I live 10 minutes away). That place is great, especially in the summertime when they open up the courtyard area. 

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can't beat a hot dog at a ballgame.  And if you're ever in Iceland prices for everything are very high, but you can get a really good hotdog with interesting toppings for a few bucks.  When we were there in June my kids probably ate 15 each over the week.

And the best ballpark to eat one in is Miller Park. Sorry OPACY.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's American Family Insurance field now.

Nope, starting in 2020.   One year left on the Miller deal.

But if you want to start practicing, go ahead.

Personally I refuse on principle to learn a second corporate name for a ballpark.   Barry Bonds hit his home runs in Pac Bell Park, and that will always be true.   I have enough facts crammed into my head to have to learn new ballpark names because some corporate entity gives another corporate entity money.   Now if I got a cut, I'd be all over it.   And it wouldn't take much.   Maybe $5, and I'll call your ballpark whatever you want every time I reference it.   But so far not a single one of the companies has deigned to cut a check to me so it's Enron Field, Pac Ball Park, Bank one Ballpark, and it will always be Miller Park in Milwaukee, 

41 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Personally I refuse on principle to learn a second corporate name for a ballpark.   Barry Bonds hit his home runs in Pac Bell Park, and that will always be true.   I have enough facts crammed into my head to have to learn new ballpark names because some corporate entity gives another corporate entity money.   Now if I got a cut, I'd be all over it.   And it wouldn't take much.   Maybe $5, and I'll call your ballpark whatever you want every time I reference it.   But so far not a single one of the companies has deigned to cut a check to me so it's Enron Field, Pac Ball Park, Bank one Ballpark, and it will always be Miller Park in Milwaukee, 

I've never liked the corporate park names. I understand the business behind it. I;m not naive but there's just something to Oriole Park at Camden Yards rather than Corporate Field. I do make exceptions for names like Wrigley since the Wrigley family owned the team and the park was named for them and not their company. 

Am I remembering correctly that Jon Miller was hoping to get Queen Elizabeth to come into the broadcast booth during a DC/Baltimore area visit? I think the joke was he was hoping she'd do him the honor of reading the Esskay Out of Town Scoreboard. 

Ok. I found the story. 

WHAT VOICE THROUGH YONDER MIKE DOTH SPEAK? 'TIS THE ORIOLES' JON MILLER, THE BARD OF BASEBALL'S PLAY-BY-PLAY MEN

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

The one on the North Side of Chicago will always be Weeghman Park to me, no matter what rich old bubblegum magnate renames the place.

Archived