Who is filling out the lineup?

wildcard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course, if Buck had known Davis would have a .220 OBP (actually, .243 last year) he wouldn’t have experimented with batting him leadoff.    In his career to that point, Davis had a quite solid .328 OBP, and trying him at leadoff to begin the season, IMO, was Buck’s way of trying to get Davis off to a good start by forcing him to focus on getting on base rather than driving runners in — something he’d done with Jones and Machado at other times.    But it failed and Buck abandoned the experiment after 6 games.   I’ve never understood why people make such a big deal out of this.    I’ve got issues with how much Davis played once it was apparent that he was having an historically bad season, but the week-long leadoff experiment at the beginning of the year was just a case of an experiment not yielding the hoped for result.  

People love innovative ideas after they're successful.  If someone tries something different or a little counter-intuitive and it doesn't work out they're often savaged for their idiocy. 

It's why we don't have four-man rotations, or any other rotation configuration besides the five-man.  The upside of different usage patterns is a handful of wins, the downside is that the entire internet and the ESPN professional talkers treat you like you have an IQ of 12 and you get fired.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

People love innovative ideas after they're successful.  If someone tries something different or a little counter-intuitive and it doesn't work out they're often savaged for their idiocy. 

It's why we don't have four-man rotations, or any other rotation configuration besides the five-man.  The upside of different usage patterns is a handful of wins, the downside is that the entire internet and the ESPN professional talkers treat you like you have an IQ of 12 and you get fired.

This is why Matt Hobgood was one of the worst draft picks of all time in the history of the franchise.  But man just think how brilliant we would think they were if he had worked out...........

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So there are other @atomic's out there?  J/k, of course and love all the interplay we have here on the OH.  Great points DH and @Frobby.  I look forward to a more anal ytic approach to innovation @Moose Milligan.  This year is gonna be fun y'all!  ⚾  Wasdin in the BP.  No Bobby D and Kirb's.  No AJ, Manny and Schoopie!  (Did I really say that?)  Oy - the IQ police will be after me!  ?

Archived