Orioles sign Nate Karns

interloper

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Especially when you've been an Orioles fan since the late 80s.  Very few reasons to be positive, wouldn't you agree?

We have four years of Chris Davis to look forward to. If you aren't pumped then I dont know what else to say. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Karns had the same surgery Matt Harvery had.  Oh Phil Hughes had it in 2016.   Clayton Richard had it.   Tyson Ross also had it.  This is like a who's who list of pitchers who used to could pitch and can't anymore.  Hate to burst anyone's bubble but it doesn't seem encouraging. 

Again do you think Mike E. would sign any player that he hadn't checked out or  had others check out? 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Especially when you've been an Orioles fan since the late 80s.  Very few reasons to be positive, wouldn't you agree?

It's not going to get worse than last year? nowhere to go but up? Syd Thrift isn't involved in the rebuild? Tickets will be easy to get for a good long while?

4 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Again do you think Mike E. would sign any player that he hadn't checked out or  had others check out? 

You could say that about any GM that has ever signed a player that turned out to be nothing or worse.

But again, he’s cheap and not blocking anyone (really). 

20 minutes ago, weams said:

They can fill the slot with someone better as soon as camp breaks if he can't. Put him on the 60 day DL March one and grab the next waiver claim

Sort of like we did with Colby Rasmus and Chris Tillman last season. 

14 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't think DD would have made this kind of move. 

He did but he would have signed him to a minor league deal.  What was that pitcher with the injury issues we signed that used be really good and he opted out and went with another team. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Harvey had a 5 run ERA in the National League last year.  Ross has probably been at replacement level since surgery and so has Richard.  

$800K. Harvey pitched at a 2 rWAR pace last season with Cincinnati. Richard was near replacement level only if you include last season, 5 years after his surgery at age 34, he was productive before that. Tyson Ross was bad in 2017 because he came back only 8 months after the surgery. He was productive last year.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

$800K. Harvey pitched at a 2 rWAR pace last season with Cincinnati. Richard was near replacement level only if you include last season, 5 years after his surgery at age 34, he was productive before that. Tyson Ross was bad in 2017 because he came back only 8 months after the surgery. He was productive last year.

Harvey had a 0.9 WAR total last season. Negative WAR in 2016 and 2017.    Compare that to when he came back from Tommy John when he had a 4.8 WAR.   Ross 0.7 WAR last season. Negative WAR the years before.  He was a 3+ WAR pitcher the year before the surgery.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Harvey had a 0.9 WAR total last season. Negative WAR in 2016 and 2017.    Compare that to when he came back from Tommy John when he had a 4.8 WAR.   Ross 0.7 WAR last season. Negative WAR the years before.  He was a 3+ WAR pitcher the year before the surgery.  

I'm trying to understand what the problem is.

Is there someone out there you'd like them to sign to be a SP?

Or... like, are you mad that he could take a spot over a young guy for awhile?

What is it, exactly, that has your jimmies so rustled about this.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Are you quite done yet? 

What? I was just confirming what Weams was stating.  I don't mind the signing.  I am not sure why we offered him a major league contract. I would have offered a minor league with an opt out.  

Just now, atomic said:

What? I was just confirming what Weams was stating.  I don't mind the signing.  I am not sure why we offered him a major league contract. I would have offered a minor league with an opt out.  

He's got an option. It basically is like a minor league deal crossed with a waiver claim. 

Archived