Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, lots of big IFs in the following scenario....

Say Davis keeps this up and mirrors his production from last year.  But the Orioles somehow, some way keep winning games and find themselves in the thick of it come July.  I'm not saying they're going to be leading the division but they're beating teams that they should beat, hanging tough with the Sox and Yankees and have a shot at a wild card.

The team is gelling, blowing away anyones expectations.  There's a lot of good mojo going on.  Davis, while still terrible at the plate, is providing steady defense at first base and seems to be liked and respected by teammates.

Do you still find a way to get rid of Davis?  Or do you not mess with what seems to be working?

I think this is the last year the team is going to throw-away at bats with Davis. He might ride out the season on the bench. Mancini or Trumbo will probably be playing 1B everyday if the O's are in the WC hunt in July. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, lots of big IFs in the following scenario....

Say Davis keeps this up and mirrors his production from last year.  But the Orioles somehow, some way keep winning games and find themselves in the thick of it come July.  I'm not saying they're going to be leading the division but they're beating teams that they should beat...

There are virtually no teams that the Orioles "should" beat.  Love that they're winning.  Totally bought into the process of rebuilding the organization from bottom to top.  But, it's not a big IF, it's a HUGE IF!

Davis is actually 0-33 dating to last season    . From Twitter:

The Orioles’ Chris Davis is hitless in his last 33 at-bats, his last hit was Sept. 14, 2018. Since that date, the @Brewers’ Christian Yelich has 32 hits, 21 for extra bases. #quirkjjans

56 minutes ago, interloper said:

I pulled this from the Roch comments:

Dating back to last season, Davis is 1-49 with 25 Ks

Lol. Goodness...

So you are saying he has had a little bit of a cold streak? I wonder if ownership has demanded that Davis play.  It seems to me if I were manager I would sit Davis over half the games.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So you are saying he has had a little bit of a cold streak? I wonder if ownership has demanded that Davis play.  It seems to me if I were manager I would sit Davis over half the games.  

Nope.    They are going to test Davis with regular playing time for a while to give him every chance to get into a groove and out of his funk.    It won’t last forever if this keeps up, but it will last a while.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I pulled this from the Roch comments:

Dating back to last season, Davis is 1-49 with 25 Ks. 

Lol. Goodness...

Its right. I just checked his gamelog. Davis had exactly one hit in his last 37 AB's of 2018. 

You know what he needs to do?  Learn how to bunt along the 3rd base line. This isn't last year's team or teams from the Showalter/Duquette era where all they did was try and hit it out of the park. Davis needs to get with the current time. Bunt the ball, dash down to 1b. Steal 2b. And so forth. 

3 hours ago, Nevermore said:

You know what he needs to do?  Learn how to bunt along the 3rd base line. This isn't last year's team or teams from the Showalter/Duquette era where all they did was try and hit it out of the park. Davis needs to get with the current time. Bunt the ball, dash down to 1b. Steal 2b. And so forth. 

Are opposing teams even bothering to shift against him? 

And Davis does not have the speed to steal bases with any consistency. 

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Are opposing teams even bothering to shift against him? 

And Davis does not have the speed to steal bases with any consistency. 

They are probably going to put 3 infielders behind the catcher in case of wild pitches on strike three.

• Haha 4