Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I’m Elias, I work hard to salvage Davis but I never commit a 25 man spot to him until I see he’s at least fringe worthy of it. I assess him in Spring Training. If he’s not ready, he gets a mysterious Oblique injury, goes on the DL and reports to Sarasota for instructionals. I give that a few months and make the roster call then.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If I’m Elias, I work hard to salvage Davis but I never commit a 25 man spot to him until I see he’s at least fringe worthy of it. I assess him in Spring Training. If he’s not ready, he gets a mysterious Oblique injury, goes on the DL and reports to Sarasota for instructionals. I give that a few months and make the roster call then.

I doubt Davis or the union would go along with that approach.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I want Davis to win the Triple Crown in 2019.    Short of that, if he hit like he did in 2017 (.215/.309/.423, 26 HR 61 RBI, -0.1 rWAR), I might still keep him in the hope of further improvement in 2020.    But another year like last year?   No way.

As always, the logical and correct approach. 

Several posters have expressed their opinion on what they would like to see happen.   However, what fans want is not going to make anything happen.

I think the question is what do you think Elias is going to do about Davis.   He has said he has going to try to fix him.   What to you think that entails?   How long do you think Elias will try different approaches with Davis before he gives up and say Davis is what he is?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Davis or the union would go along with that approach.

Really? I think Davis would accept that given the fact he knows he’s stealing money at this point, particularly if he believes in a plan to rebuild his swing. I’m not talking about some demeaning roster move. I’m talking about creating and executing a plan aimed at saving the guy’s career.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Several posters have expressed their opinion on what they would like to see happen.   However, what fans want is not going to make anything happen.

I think the question is what do you think Elias is going to do about Davis.   He has said he has going to try to fix him.   What to you think that entails?   How long do you think Elias will try different approaches with Davis before he gives up and say Davis is what he is?

A lot of prayer.

At this point I think it's Davis' best shot.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Really? I think Davis would accept that given the fact he knows he’s stealing money at this point, particularly if he believes in a plan to rebuild his swing. I’m not talking about some demeaning roster move. I’m talking about creating and executing a plan aimed at saving the guy’s career.

If Davis were to agree to breaking the rules and cheating the system I don't see why the Union would get involved.

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Davis would never, EVER, have a mysterious oblique injury at this point. I think he looks for a release. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

First, in terms of exactly what he’ll do, I have no idea.    He may have some suggestions both from and analytics point of view and just from a scouting approach.    He may have ideas for a good swing doctor for Davis.   

In terms of how long he’ll try to get Davis fixed, it depends how badly he’s broken.    He could improve from last year and still be sub-replacement, he could be no better, or he could be even worse (hard to fathom, but we’re talking about a guy who has gotten worse 3 years in a row).    I think if he stagnates or gets worse he’ll be gone sometime this season.   If he improves but is still sub-replacement there’s a chance Elias will be more patient.   

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Scott Boras.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would Boras seek to increase the onerousness of the Davis contract?  If anything it would simply further decrease the chances of his other clients getting similar deals.

Thinking that Davis could be coerced into a fake injury report is the wacky idea here. Not Boras making a stand for player rights. 

Archived