Austin Hays

LAOSfan

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I had been noticing it and then Tony mentioned it in the game thread today.

Austin Hays now has started 3 games, all in CF.   When he started in CF on Saturday, Yusmiel Diaz was the DH and they said Diaz had a bit of a sore arm and didn't want to play the outfield.   So I thought nothing of it.

But today Diaz was in right and Hays in CF again.

Does it say something about what Hyde is thinking when he puts Hays in CF for all three games he has played in so far?

Might be saying something about Mullins.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Might be saying something about Mullins.

Although Mullins has started in CF in HIS 3 starts.

With 60+ players in camp most guys are basically alternating.   Group 1 starts on odd numbered days and in the 4th/5th inning is replaced by Group 1a.   Group 2 starts on even numbered days and in the 4th/5th inning is replaced by Group 2a.   That's 36 guys.

That's pretty much how it's worked so far, although I did see Ruiz go a couple days in a row.   And of course some veterans don't make road trips and so forth.

But basically Hays has been the Group 1 CF and Mullins the Group 2 CF.   1a I think was Rickard and 2a might have been Bostic?   At least on Saturday and Sunday when I was watching or listening tot he games.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I had been noticing it and then Tony mentioned it in the game thread today.

Austin Hays now has started 3 games, all in CF.   When he started in CF on Saturday, Yusmiel Diaz was the DH and they said Diaz had a bit of a sore arm and didn't want to play the outfield.   So I thought nothing of it.

But today Diaz was in right and Hays in CF again.

Does it say something about what Hyde is thinking when he puts Hays in CF for all three games he has played in so far?

Might as well test him there.   He’s played a good bit of CF in the minors (104 of 211 starts).    Diaz has too (103 of 249).    With the weight he put on in the offseason, Diaz might be less viable in CF now compared to Hays.    But I’d bet they’ll both get some time there.   

Notably, in Bowie last year Diaz made only 6 of 35 starts in CF.   Hays played 11 of 59 in CF.    

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

That half season he gave us in '03 inspired a lot of hope... never really worked out. He and Luis Matos, both, tearing up 2003. Never to be heard from again.

I really thought Luis Matos would have a good career after his 2003.  Another false hope from the dark years. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I really thought Luis Matos would have a good career after his 2003.  Another false hope from the dark years. 

He had a pretty decent start in ‘05, then got hit on the hand and broke a bone and his season went downhill from there.   

It seems that Hyde wants to see Hays in CF, but only to see just what he can do there. I don’t think it is some indictment of Mullins. More that Hays is making a serious run at the roster and Hyde wants to see his ability to move around the OF. Pretty clear he can be a very good RF. 

I think Hays is on track to make the OD roster. But, if he starts flailing at breaking balls in the dirt again and shows poor pitch recognition, he goes down. His maturity in his approach so far has been a really good sign, and a big step up for him. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

He had a pretty decent start in ‘05, then got hit on the hand and broke a bone and his season went downhill from there.   

A broken hand for hitters seems like the equivalent to shoulder problems with pitchers. Markakis has never regained his power since CC broke his. I don’t even hear Jomar Reyes’ name mentioned on here anymore. 

Giving Hays time in CF is a good thing. We have to see what he can do. 

8 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It seems that Hyde wants to see Hays in CF, but only to see just what he can do there. I don’t think it is some indictment of Mullins. More that Hays is making a serious run at the roster and Hyde wants to see his ability to move around the OF. Pretty clear he can be a very good RF. 

I think Hays is on track to make the OD roster. But, if he starts flailing at breaking balls in the dirt again and shows poor pitch recognition, he goes down. His maturity in his approach so far has been a really good sign, and a big step up for him. 

I just don't see the sense in putting him on the OD roster. He's coming off an injury plagued mess of a year. Give him at least a couple months down on the farm to get back into a full rhythm.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A broken hand for hitters seems like the equivalent to shoulder problems with pitchers. Markakis has never regained his power since CC broke his. I don’t even hear Jomar Reyes’ name mentioned on here anymore. 

And just like that, he gets an RBI on a BB.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this is a false-narrative. Markakis had seasons with 12 and 15 home runs in the years before CC broke his hand and followed it up with seasons of 10 and 14.  I suppose Nick's doubles were down but they went right back up when he left for Atlanta.

Jomar Reyes has never shown much in-game power.  

I'm not sure what kind of lingering effects a broken hand can have on power after recovery, but in these instances I don't think there is any evidence that their power was "zapped" because of these injuries. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I think this is a false-narrative. Markakis had seasons with 12 and 15 home runs in the years before CC broke his hand and followed it up with seasons of 10 and 14.  I suppose Nick's doubles were down but they went right back up when he left for Atlanta.

Jomar Reyes has never shown much in-game power.  

I'm not sure what kind of lingering effects a broken hand can have on power after recovery, but in these instances I don't think there is any evidence that their power was "zapped" because of these injuries. 

Markakis home runs did slip from early in his career, but the lowest OPS+ of his career (and only one of two seasons his career with an OPS+ of less than 100) was in 2013 with an OPS+ 88. 

Archived