The Adam Jones Appreciation Thread

Frobby

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you think about being a fan, you want three things from a player you pay to see. That he gives his best effort, he shows fans he cares outside of the stadium, and that he has fun with you inside the stadium. I haven't been alive long, but I don't know of anybody in any other sport who did his absolute best to make sure the fans felt like they were a part of the team. Dude brought Baltimore together like no other player, and has been an ambassador like no other as well. Although he wasn't as great a player as Ray Lewis, he's right up there in terms of Baltimore athletes who have given everything they had to the team AND the city. It's very rare that you get both, and it should be appreciated long after he's left.

Also, it's a shame that there will be some people here who refuse to appreciate the man he is because they disagree about how he feels about where he stands as a black man in the major leagues. If you are one of those people, I hope that you eventually grow out of that ignorance and realize the fact that he's been every bit the star that Baltimore craved for those losing years both on and off the field.

Adam has been my childhood hero and I know he'll continue to do great things.

28 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they ever have a statue in OPACY for an Oriole who is not in Cooperstown, it should be for Adam. He fits right in among Orioles greats. At least retire #10, cause no one else will do it justice.

A well done, not too big 21 and 10 would be nice in the flag court.  

My favorite Oriole.

Loved the pies. Loved the passion. Loved the HR's and catches/throws from CF. He was a real fit for the city of Baltimore as a player and a person.

I've always been impressed with his demeanor. He speaks his mind but doesn't get himself into a lot of trouble because he is thoughtful. He's been courageous to speak up about race issues over the years, especially as one of the few African Americans left in baseball. 

His jersey was the one I finally decided to buy after never quite feeling sold on any player post Cal. I've got an autographed ball from him in my office and I've always enjoyed going to The Abbey Burger Bistro and getting the SimplyAJ10. 

I'll certainly miss him, but I look forward to following him for as long as he plays and hope he gets another chance at a championship. I think he’s got a few good years left in him and look forward to seeing him show it 

It was a heckuva run for him as an Oriole.  I enjoyed rooting for him as he led the team back to relevance, contention, and (for a while) an actual WS contender.  I'll remember and appreciate some great moments, including his gauntlet throwing 8th inning HR on 9/6/2012, the pies, the division clinching celebration, the Opening Day HR last year, etc.  Too many other great moments to mention or even remember them all.  It was time for both parties to move on I think, for lots of reasons we've all covered in numerous threads, and I wish him luck in Arizona.  They seem to be rebuilding a bit themselves, but I hope they go on an unexpected run and somehow give him one last postseason run.  Best wishes to him, and I look forward to the day he's inducted into the O's HOF.

Here's a favorite of mine that from that 9/6/2012 game.  Adam's HR is at 1:46.  We had blown a 6-1 lead, with the Yankees having tied it with a 4 or 5 run top of 8th inning.  Those of us that still had bad memories from 2005 were waiting for the other shoe to drop.  "Here we go again," we thought.  Then Adam Jones came up and said, "Not this time."  Then the Sheriff and Chris Davis followed suit.  What a special night for me for many reasons, especially since I was in attendance that night.  Thanks Adam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BsOOMFeeM

Archived