The 2019 Misery Index: Which MLB fanbase has it the worst?

TonySoprano

1. Seattle
2. San Diego
3. Washington
4. Milwaukee
5. Cleveland
6. Texas
7. Pittsburgh

8. Baltimore Orioles

The Orioles made the playoffs three times in five years under veteran manager Buck Showalter from 2012 to 2016, but in the last of those years, Showalter made an all-time managerial blunder. Groundballer Zach Britton was the best reliever in baseball that year, but Showalter failed to use him against the powerful Blue Jays lineup in the wild-card game in Toronto, even after the game went into extra innings. Instead, Showalter handed the ball to failed starter Ubaldo Jiménez, who promptly gave up two hits and a walk-off home run. The Orioles sank to last place in 2017 and lost a landmark 115 games last year, prompting a housecleaning that swept Showalter out of his job. Having shed their stars, the Orioles now seem as far from a World Series appearance as they have been at any point since their last, 36 years ago.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't read the whole article. Just from Tony's top 7 I wonder how some of those teams are the most suffering?

San Diego has lost a ton the last bunch of years but their farm system is built up and they're spending money like drunken sailors. The future's so bright they gotta wear shades. Plus they live in one of the best cities in the U.S. Boo freakin' hoo.

Washington has done nothing but win the last bunch of years. They missed out on Harper but many say that's a good thing. How are they suffering?

Milwaukee and Cleveland are both strong playoff-caliber teams. Yes they haven't won it all in decades or never but the future is now. Good times.

Pittsburgh I watched the Pitt game last week and their announcers and everyone they interviewed during the game were super excited about the upcoming year. Really expecting to be strong contenders this year.

Or is the list just based on how long (if ever) since they have won the World Series?

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Or is the list just based on how long (if ever) since they have won the World Series?

You know what, that must be it.   Or that must be their biggest criteria.  What do all those teams have in common.............. ?

5 of them have never won a World Series.

Cleveland hasn't since like the days of Harry S Truman, and Pitt since I guess 79?

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

You know what, that must be it.   Or that must be their biggest criteria.  What do all those teams have in common.............. ?

5 of them have never won a World Series.

Cleveland hasn't since like the days of Harry S Truman, and Pitt since I guess 79?

That’s it, but shouldn’t Texas be higher? The Rangers have never won a World Series.  Indians were in the series more recently, have a better team and have won it all even if it was forever ago. 

It's hard for me to consider the Texas Rangers fanbase miserable when they've got two AL pennants, four division titles, and five playoff appearances from 2010-2018.  If you were factoring in prior to 2010, okay maybe I could accept that.  If being miserable is that degree of success over a 10 year period, I'd have taken that.

Years since last World Series win

1. Seattle, Washington(Montreal), Milwaukee(Seattle Pilots), TB, Colorado, Texas and SD have never won a World Series.

8. Cleveland 1948

9. Pittsburgh 1979

10. Baltimore 1983

11. Detroit 1984

12. NY Mets 1986

13. LA Dodgers 1988

14. Oakland 1989

15. Cincinnati 1990

16. Minnesota 1991

17. CitoStillSux 1993

18. Atlanta 1995

19. Arizona 2001

20. LAAofA near B pretty close to C 2002

21. Miami 2003

22. Chicago WS 2005

23. Philadelphia 2008

24. NY Yankees 2009

25. St. Louis 2011

26. SF 2014

27. KC 2015

28. Chicago Cubs 2016

29. Houston 2017

30. Boston reigning Champs

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Wasn't Milwaukee a playoff team?   They made it to the NLCS?

I'm confused.

It does seem like misery is time since last championship, if any.  They explain it this way

4. Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers moved to Milwaukee from Seattle in 1970. In the intervening 49 years, they have made it to the World Series exactly once, that coming way back in 1982, more than a year before Ryan Braun’s birth. They followed that lone pennant (and seven-game loss) with a 25-year playoff drought, and they have been to the playoffs just three times since finally returning to the postseason in 2008. However, they are coming off a pair of surprisingly strong finishes, winning 86 games in 2017 and finishing the 2018 regular season with seven consecutive wins and a victory in a one-game playoff to steal the NL Central title from the Cubs. Milwaukee followed that surge by sweeping the Rockies in the Division Series and taking the Dodgers to Game 7 of the NLCS, pushing its win streak to 12 along the way. That was the closest the Brewers have been to the World Series since their sole appearance, and the division title was just their second since then, but they should be right in the mix for the division and the pennant this year.

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How many people in San Diego really care about the Padres?  

o

Probably more than the number of people who care about the Chargers in Los Angeles.

o

• 2 months later...

At this exact moment, the Mets may need to jump to #1 or the two spot, what a mess.

Mets swept by the Marlins getting a total of 3 hits during the weekend.

The Cano trade is a disaster as is their ownership, agent GM and manager.

Cespedes injures himself apparently on his ranch. Mets are playing at home; maybe he should have been with the team.

Cano doesn't run out double plays but that's nothing new. Ramos is off to a horrible start. Frazier is done. Their pitching hasn't been as good as it should.

For a team that their agent GM dubbed, the team to beat in the NL east, they are the circus show of MLB.

-- and this is coming from a O's fan

Archived