The 2019 Misery Index: Which MLB fanbase has it the worst?

TonySoprano

On 3/14/2019 at 10:37 AM, scOtt said:

I can't read the whole article. Just from Tony's top 7 I wonder how some of those teams are the most suffering?

San Diego has lost a ton the last bunch of years but their farm system is built up and they're spending money like drunken sailors. The future's so bright they gotta wear shades. Plus they live in one of the best cities in the U.S. Boo freakin' hoo.

Washington has done nothing but win the last bunch of years. They missed out on Harper but many say that's a good thing. How are they suffering?

Milwaukee and Cleveland are both strong playoff-caliber teams. Yes they haven't won it all in decades or never but the future is now. Good times.

Pittsburgh I watched the Pitt game last week and their announcers and everyone they interviewed during the game were super excited about the upcoming year. Really expecting to be strong contenders this year.

Or is the list just based on how long (if ever) since they have won the World Series?

It does seem like they put very heavy emphasis on World Series wins.  It's subjective.  Maybe not wrong - we certainly had/have a contingent here who saw the 2012-2016 era as meh or worse because of no Championship. 

There were folks who'd say 82 wins or even the 2nd wildcard was basically the same as 60 wins, since you're supposedly not championship caliber.  Wonder what they think now?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/14/2019 at 10:48 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Indians were in the series more recently, have a better team and have won it all even if it was forever ago. 

Can you really give any credit to winning the 1948 World Series?  My Dad was two, he has no memories of it and he's 73.  I believe the youngest member of the '48 Indians was Mike Garcia, who died in 1986.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I think that ranking is accurate.  Surprised Miami didn't crack the top 5.

Man, 2012-2016 seems like forever ago.

I think Miami should be #1.  The only reason they still exist is a long lease they can't get out of for a new and empty stadium.  And revenue sharing.  At least the Rays win.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think Miami should be #1.  The only reason they still exist is a long lease they can't get out of for a new and empty stadium.  And revenue sharing.  At least the Rays win.

The Marlins won the World Series in 1997 and 2003.....I would take that in a heartbeat.  While they have done nothing in the other years and have dismantled both of those championship teams, those two trophies are better than what most teams have collected over the last 20+ years.

46 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

The Marlins won the World Series in 1997 and 2003.....I would take that in a heartbeat.  While they have done nothing in the other years and have dismantled both of those championship teams, those two trophies are better than what most teams have collected over the last 20+ years.

Who cares?  That was 16 years ago, and the team is a disaster.  They've done nothing since and they play in front of an empty stadium.  They're a shell of a team with no resources and no obvious path to sustainability and you think that's all trumped by a trophy from when Richie Martin was in kindergarten?

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who cares?  That was 16 years ago, and the team is a disaster.  They've done nothing since and they play in front of an empty stadium.  They're a shell of a team with no resources and no obvious path to sustainability and you think that's all trumped by a trophy from when Richie Martin was in kindergarten?

At least it's in a lifetime. I became an O's fan in 1984 and well....

21 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

At least it's in a lifetime. I became an O's fan in 1984 and well....

2012 season was a lot of fun. I would say that and the 1982 season were my favorite Oriole seasons.  

8 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

At this exact moment, the Mets may need to jump to #1 or the two spot, what a mess.

Mets swept by the Marlins, getting a total of 3 hits during the weekend.

The Cano trade is a disaster as is their ownership, agent GM and manager.

Cespedes injures himself apparently on his ranch. Mets are playing at home; maybe he should have been with the team.

Cano doesn't run out double plays but that's nothing new. Ramos is off to a horrible start. Frazier is done. Their pitching hasn't been as good as it should.

For a team that their agent GM dubbed, the team to beat in the NL east, they are the circus show of MLB.

-- and this is coming from a O's fan

o

A total of 3 hits during "the weekend", but a total of 15 hits for the 3-game series sweep.

The Mets were in the World Series in 2015, and last won it in 1986. They also made it the World Series in 2000, while the Mariners (1977 - Present) have never made it, and the Brewers/Pilots (1969-Present) have made it one time (1982) in their 50-year franchise history. Historically the Marlins are fine with their 2 World Series titles in their relatively brief franchise history (1993 - Present), but they haven't had a winning season since 2009, and are on the verge of rivaling the dark years of the Orioles (1998-2011) in that department.

Yes, the Mets are off to a very disappointing start to the season, and they are playing significantly under what they were expected to with a 22-25 overall record and 5 and-a-half games behind the first-place team in their division (the Phillies), but this seems to be a very subjective argument for putting the Mets at either #1 or #2.

o

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Flags fly forever. I'm pretty sure basically everyone cares.

That being said, the Marlins sure are working on claiming that top spot. But, for now, I think the Mariners fan base certainly has had it the worst - they haven't even made the playoffs since Ichiro's rookie year. 

The Terps won the title 17 years ago....and I still never get tired of watching the tournament games and the highlights.  Best championship of my life as a sports fan.  Thank goodness they sealed the deal...made 2001 and 2002 seasons extremely special and unforgettable.  I was only 8 in 1983 and am 44 now and I can only pray the Orioles at some point give me that same feeling that you can only get from cheering for a champion.  

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It does seem like they put very heavy emphasis on World Series wins.  It's subjective.  Maybe not wrong - we certainly had/have a contingent here who saw the 2012-2016 era as meh or worse because of no Championship. 

There were folks who'd say 82 wins or even the 2nd wildcard was basically the same as 60 wins, since you're supposedly not championship caliber.  Wonder what they think now?

These people are/were tragic victims of sports talk radio poisoning.  Be kind.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was born in 92.  I was so young that I have basically no memories of the 96 and 97 seasons. That means for the vast majority of my Orioles fandom, the team was an unmitigated disaster. Most of what I remember as a kid is going to games against the Yanks and Sox and booing as hard as I could as we were down 9-1 to drown out the opposing cheers. By the time the hype of 2011 came crashing down, I resigned myself to never watching a winning Orioles team in my life. Sure the 2012-2016 teams had a ton of flaws and the moves made over that time frame basically cratered the franchise and will lead to back to back sub 50 win seasons, but I've never had more fun watching sports than I did over that span.

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What you don't trust Derek Jeter to right the ship and not trade away any star players as soon as they hit arbitration?

tenor.gif

Archived