Will Araujo Make The Team?

Rene88

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

I don’t think “scheme” has as negative a connotation as you say.    You’re choosing to read it that way.   

By the way (not really addressing your point here), in England the word “scheme” is used interchangeably with “plan,” e.g. “pension scheme.”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think “scheme” has as negative a connotation as you say.    You’re choosing to read it that way.   

By the way (not really addressing your point here), in England the word “scheme” is used interchangeably with “plan,” e.g. “pension scheme.”

Oh come on, you are only being a contrarian in this case. You may be the only person who would argue that "scheme," in the sentence I quoted, was not meant to be negative.The OP advises against "scheming to keep a player." I would bet that even sportsfan8703 would agree with me that "scheming " the system was intended to imply something negative, i.e. bad-faith practice. The word does not always have a negative connotation but it is obvious that it does in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Araujo got into his first game tonight with the O’s winning 6-0 and very quickly made it 6-2.    Walked the first batter he saw and then threw an absolute cookie that got crushed.    Allowed another hit but then induced a DP grounder that got him out of the inning.    Not an impressive outing.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Araujo got into his first game tonight with the O’s winning 6-0 and very quickly made it 6-2.    Walked the first batter he saw and then threw an absolute cookie that got crushed.    Allowed another hit but then induced a DP grounder that got him out of the inning.    Not an impressive outing.    

I can’t wait until his 17 days of service time is completed. Hyde is effectively managing a 23 player roster with Araujo and Davis.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can’t wait until his 17 days of service time is completed. Hyde is effectively managing a 23 player roster with Araujo and Davis.

I can take the few more days of Pedro (I still like his change up), but the 17+ more days of Davis is troubling.  I've never seen someone work so hard to become a professional watcher of pitches. The ultimate dedication to drawing a walk.  What percent of pitches does he swing at?  How does it compare to the league average?

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I can take the few more days of Pedro (I still like his change up), but the 17+ more days of Davis is troubling.  I've never seen someone work so hard to become a professional watcher of pitches. The ultimate dedication to drawing a walk.  What percent of pitches does he swing at?  How does it compare to the league average?

Davis is completely lost at the plate and had no confidence. Teams aren’t going to walk him unless the pitcher doesn’t have it like the Toronto rookie tonight.

I’m really curious on when Elias, Hyde and Sig will cry uncle on Davis. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Davis is completely lost at the plate and had no confidence. Teams aren’t going to walk him unless the pitcher doesn’t have it like the Toronto rookie tonight.

I’m really curious on when Elias, Hyde and Sig will cry uncle on Davis. 

I’ve been saying all offseason that they’d give him 2-3 months.   

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not so bold prediction, once Arajuo is demoted, we’ll never see him pitch in an O’s uniform again. 

Sure would be nice to have one of idk any one of our Ps in AA and above on the roster instead of him. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not so bold prediction, once Arajuo is demoted, we’ll never see him pitch in an O’s uniform again. 

Sure would be nice to have one of idk any one of our Ps in AA and above on the roster instead of him. 

I would have rather seen Tanner Scott make the team  over Araujo, and I agree with you. When Araujo is sent down that will be the last we ever see of him.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would have rather seen Tanner Scott make the team  over Araujo, and I agree with you. When Araujo is sent down that will be the last we ever see of him.

I have not seen much in Araujo to make me think he could develop into a good major league pitcher, but the guys who are paid to evaluate him seem to disagree with that assessment.   I’ll let them figure it out — it’s not like they need to justify Duquette’s prior decisions, so I trust their objectivity. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I have not seen much in Araujo to make me think he could develop into a good major league pitcher, but the guys who are paid to evaluate him seem to disagree with that assessment.   I’ll let them figure it out — it’s not like they need to justify Duquette’s prior decisions, so I trust their objectivity. 

I figure they want to keep Araujo in the organization to see if there is anything there and I’m ok with that.

I just think he will never amount to more than an AAAA level pitcher and even that is a stretch currently.

Archived