Hard to keep Hays out of this lineup

Roy Firestone

Jon Meoli notes on the timing of these cuts...it is 11 days until Opening Day so the guys optioned could be brought up after 10 days and still be on the Opening Day roster if someone they are planning on putting on the 25 can't go north for any reason.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SteveA said:

Jon Meoli notes on the timing of these cuts...it is 11 days until Opening Day so the guys optioned could be brought up after 10 days and still be on the Opening Day roster if someone they are planning on putting on the 25 can't go north for any reason.

Or I guess I could have just linked the tweet...

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that when someone says "all the teams do it" an attempt is being made to rationalize the action.  Such rationalization falls flat when you say "We aren't the only team that is doing it.".

This wasn't an attempt to nitpick, it was an attempt to show that acting in such a fashion isn't mandatory for teams.  The O's didn't feel a need to do this with Schoop or Markakis and I don't think the organization was hurt.  They felt a need to do it with Wieters and I don't think the organization was helped.

I should have said many but the Yankees did send Andujar down before injuries.

https://www.chatsports.com/new-york-yankees/a/source/why-the-yankees-blocked-andujar-and-torres-from-starting-14408494

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Too soon to know how good a GM Elias will be.    I like his overall game plan and apparent priorities. The proof will be in the execution.   

It’s impossible to know whether there are any constraints on him, but I’m sure his plan didn’t call for immediate long term contracts to anyone.    

Just for the record, would you offer Hays a long term deal right now, and if so, on what terms?   Anybody besides Hays you’d approach, and for how much?   Assuming no ownership constraints.    

Although it’s off-topic, the Astros gave Jon Singleton a 10-Million dollar contract when he was only a prospect who’d had a brief cup of coffee in the majors. Bud Norris was furious, but Singleton flopped( and might even be out of baseball by now) and is doubtless delighted to have ten million smackers for failing.

I would be happy to risk such a Contract on Hays. It’s a gamble for both sides, but I’d lock down Hays if I could do so cheaply. However, I think that’s all beside the point here. Hays did well enough to make the big club but caution( because of previously mentioned issues) is warranted. He’ll be up before too long, and will probably stay.

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Well...apparently it wasn't too hard to keep him out of the lineup

Really the most upsetting part about this is Rickard in right field. These guys will be up by June if they hit well

Why so down on Rickard? He’s a solid defender, runs well, hits for ok average(though not with power) and will be a productive outfielder at all three positions. He’s at his ceiling, but that ceiling is reasonable, and he’ll be there for a couple of inexpensive years before declining. And he’s not blocking anyone who is profoundly superior( Mancini certainly is blocking plenty of better guys, but that’s another discussion.) What’s not to like?

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Excellent point. 

I would have liked to see Hays in the OD lineup, mostly because hes about the most (only?) exciting player that could make the team out of spring. But if a few weeks gives us a years extra control, what is the big problem here? Hes going to continue facing virtually the same talent, and he will get his shot along with a few others later this season. We aren't winning a lot of games this year, Hays making the OD lineup or getting called up in May wont change that.

Maybe that's an optimistic outlook on the new front office, but I'd rather have that than shooting down every move that is made, whether its prudent or not, just because you dont like ownership. I feel like I'm in the WNST comment section sometimes.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why so down on Rickard? He’s a solid defender, runs well, hits for ok average(though not with power) and will be a productive outfielder at all three positions. He’s at his ceiling, but that ceiling is reasonable, and he’ll be there for a couple of inexpensive years before declining. And he’s not blocking anyone who is profoundly superior( Mancini certainly is blocking plenty of better guys, but that’s another discussion.) What’s not to like?

I like Rickard and he should have a role.  Just think he's better suited as a part time player and he gets exposed when he plays everyday.  Decent placeholder just not exciting. 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

I like Rickard and he should have a role.  Just think he's better suited as a part time player and he gets exposed when he plays everyday.  Decent placeholder just not exciting. 

I agree that he’s probably better suited as a fourth outfielder, but that is also true of Mullins, and probably Stewart as well. But in this environment, having him start is not a reason to haul out the pitchforks and torches.

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Sure. He played half a season last year. And he was terrible. Nowhere near good enough to earn a call up to the big leagues. What point are you trying to make? Your case for him breaking camp with the O's is because of the spring training stats from 40 ABs against minor leaguers. Just admit it. You don't know how to run a baseball team.

I am sure if I ran the team they would end up with more wins than Elias.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

As a 5th outfielder he's okay.  But there are 49 players who've played 100+ games in RF in the last three years and Rickard is 46th in OPS+.

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

Over what time frame?  It wouldn't be that hard if you decided to pour resources into 2019 at the expense of a longer-term strategy.

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sure, it's not that hard to win 75 games if you sign a bunch of Kevin Millars and Jamie Walkers to relatively expensive contracts instead of using that money to build for the future.  But that's not what he was hired to do.

Archived