TT: Roster takes shape less than a week out (Roster prediction)

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would play as many young players as possible. I saw enough of the retreads and career minor leaguers last year.

If the young players play, I’ll watch even if they lose 100+ games. I’m not going to tune in for players past their prime or never had one.

Exactly.  A bunch of bad AAA players isnt going to get anyone to watch.  Even the people praising the team for these crazy moves on here aren't going to watch a bunch of older DFA guys who have never done anything. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Maybe they figure that if they're going to draft Rutschman they should get a head start on finding Sisco a new position.

That is some serious putting the cart in front of the horse.

1- Draft Rutscham

2- Sign him

3- He be ML ready quickly

4- Sisco hit well enough to provide value outside of catching

5- Not being able to trade Sisco for equivalent value.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is some series putting the cart in front of the horse.

1- Draft Rutscham

2- Sign him

3- He be ML read quickly

Some people here seem to think he will be drafted in June and in Baltimore by July, the way they talk...

34 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I agree wit this. I also think Elias needs to be a bit more subtle in the blatant tank job that he's working on this season. That's why Sisco and Hays were sent down. It has more to do with wanting to lose (and secure another #1 pick) than it does with anyone else. I get the approach, but Elias better start thinking about how they're going to sell tickets this year. Right now there's not a single reason for me to want to watch this team and I'm a die hard fan. Imagine what the casual fan thinks. 

Yeah there are minor league teams better than the Orioles.  A rebuild in its second year with no prospects on the team is a recipe for an attendance disaster.  I have zero desire to go to opening day even

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is some series putting the cart in front of the horse.

1- Draft Rutscham

2- Sign him

3- He be ML ready quickly

Yes, it is.

It seems clear Elias' plan is to create a top farm system here.  You don't do that by promoting kids who can otherwise keep playing and learning in the minors.  I'm fine with playing a bunch of vets, journeyman, no-hit-good-glove, and assorted never-will-be types in a lost season, while also not starting service clocks or introducing unnecessary failure to young kids.  Add the first overall picks in 2019 and 2020, and any other young talent Elias can grab, and we should see some real potential by 2021.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I understand they are not going to be competitive this year but isn't this taking things a bit far?

Elias seems to be of the philosophy that you need to prove at a level before you come up. When you add in that Severino and Sucre are serious upgrades defensively to Sisco,  then why not let him go down to Norfolk and force his way back up?

29 minutes ago, Ripken said:

It seems clear Elias' plan is to create a top farm system here.  You don't do that by promoting kids who can otherwise keep playing and learning in the minors.  I'm fine with playing a bunch of vets, journeyman, no-hit-good-glove, and assorted never-will-be types in a lost season, while also not starting service clocks or introducing unnecessary failure to young kids.  Add the first overall picks in 2019 and 2020, and any other young talent Elias can grab, and we should see some real potential by 2021.

You don't build an actual top farm system by holding guys back just so they put up big numbers.

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Oh.  Of the guys sent down, who put up big numbers in AAA last year?

When did Machado put up big numbers in AAA?  And your response really doesn't have anything to do with his statement.  

Archived