Don't be surprised if some prospects start at lower levels than expected

Tony-OH

I could be wrong here, but judging how Elias is determining who earned their way onto his big league roster, it was mostly about previous statistics and experience vs performance in the spring.

Elias has even stated it's all about development at this point, and it appears he wants guys to prove it at a level before getting promoted. Chance Sisco was returned to AAA despite his great spring, a level he's not mastered so far in his career. 

So what does that mean? It could mean that Yusniel Diaz could start the year in Bowie vs Norfolk after struggling there last year in his limited time with the Baysox. It's not to say he won't get promoted if he does well there, just that it would not surprise me if he's returned there rather than going to AAA.

Now maybe that plan will be adjusted now that Hays will most likely start the year on the IL with the thumb injury, but I think Chris Bostick ends up starting in CF in AAA with Santander in RF and Stewart in LF until Hays is ready to play CF. Santander could be at risk as well, but perhaps the big league experience will help him start at AAA.

Either way, I'm really interested on seeing the assignments this year because it will tell us how/what Elias values when placing players. It will also be interesting to see how he handles in season promotions and demotions.

I agree, there are other reasons too.

Simple logistics, if you back up a bunch of dudes in AAA, that’s going to have an effect all the way down. 

Also, if you are trying to teach guys new stuff even if it’s just exposing them to more data, it’d make sense to do it at a level where the player isn’t just fighting to keep his head above water.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, there are other reasons too.

Simple logistics, if you back up a bunch of dudes in AAA, that’s going to have an effect all the way down. 

Also, if you are trying to teach guys new stuff even if it’s just exposing them to more data, it’d make sense to do it at a level where the player isn’t just fighting to keep his head above water.

Speaking of logistics it could be beneficial to have certain players playing closer to the hub than down in Norfolk. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I could be wrong here, but judging how Elias is determining who earned their way onto his big league roster, it was mostly about previous statistics and experience vs performance in the spring.

Elias has even stated it's all about development at this point, and it appears he wants guys to prove it at a level before getting promoted. Chance Sisco was returned to AAA despite his great spring, a level he's not mastered so far in his career. 

So what does that mean? It could mean that Yusniel Diaz could start the year in Bowie vs Norfolk after struggling there last year in his limited time with the Baysox. It's not to say he won't get promoted if he does well there, just that it would not surprise me if he's returned there rather than going to AAA.

Now maybe that plan will be adjusted now that Hays will most likely start the year on the IL with the thumb injury, but I think Chris Bostick ends up starting in CF in AAA with Santander in RF and Stewart in LF until Hays is ready to play CF. Santander could be at risk as well, but perhaps the big league experience will help him start at AAA.

Either way, I'm really interested on seeing the assignments this year because it will tell us how/what Elias values when placing players. It will also be interesting to see how he handles in season promotions and demotions.

is the texas league an "easier" version of AA? Because Diaz was pretty dominant there.  I understand the logistics argument, but would they hold him back in AA even though he dominated an equivalent league before the trade?

Archived