Who’s your choice for most pleasant surprise of 2019?

Frobby

On 3/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, Philip said:

I hope you’re correct, but it is significant that the catchers we kept are Defense first guys. That implies that defense is the priority...

I think that Severino is on the 25 man simply because he has no options remaining.  They may try to slip him through waivers when the decide that Sisco is ready or that Severino proves that he can't hit.  I don't think that keeping Severino says much about Sisco at all.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think that Severino is on the 25 man simply because he has no options remaining.  They may try to slip him through waivers when the decide that Sisco is ready or that Severino proves that he can't hit.  I don't think that keeping Severino says much about Sisco at all.

I agree that they will try and slip him through waivers when the opportunity presents itself, but I strongly disagree that it says nothing about Sisco.

I think Wynns Is more likely to come up before Sisco does, Although pretty much any outcome is equally possible With these four.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:25 PM, ChuckS said:

Joey Rickard.  I think he will be our best two-way player in 2019.  

On the pitching side, I'm going to go with Andrew Cashner.  I think the analytics will help him. He has enough command and enough stuff that he shouldn't be as bad as he's been over his career. 

Not sexy picks by any means, but going with my gut.   

Cashner's had an ok career. I wouldn't call him a bad pitcher.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I think Severino is on the roster because he (and Sucre) have good ML experience and Chance still isn't really ready.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you really learn to hit ML pitching in the minors?

I think they want him to learn to catch. And they keep saying about putting in time at the different levels of the minors. His hitting will come (I think...)

Just now, scOtt said:

I think they want him to learn to catch. And they keep saying about putting in time at the different levels of the minors. His hitting will come (I think...)

I think they also want him to learn to lead. Read comments how he's low-key quiet guy. I saw him interviewd once this spring and he is that. They seem to want him to be more demonstrative, more commanding on the field.

Just now, scOtt said:

I don't think a third year at AAA is going to magically improve his catching.

But hey, why not cast aside a home grown product for someone who was DFA'd and no one was willing to give anything up for.

Learning on the job might impact the O's playoff chances.

Just now, scOtt said:

I think they also want him to learn to lead. Read comments how he's low-key quiet guy. I saw him interviewd once this spring and he is that. They seem to want him to be more demonstrative, more commanding on the field.

I'm sure hurting his confidence by sending him down after his spring is the best way to go about that.

Nothing brings out the leader like your superiors not showing faith in you.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure hurting his confidence by sending him down after his spring is the best way to go about that.

Nothing brings out the leader like your superiors not showing faith in you.

Idk? You could say it builds character. Makes him hungry.

Do you think he's ready for the majors?

Archived