The Silver Lining Report: Game 2/162

interloper

A bit late but I mainly hope to just get these out before the next day's game.

A lot to highlight in this one, as the Os take first place in the AL East.

• Jesus Sucre: 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI. Coaxed a somewhat wild pitching staff through the game. Aggressive/smart baserunning on the tag up to 3rd. Looked engaged and vocal the whole game.
  • Rio Ruiz: Several (3 or 4) good defensive plays at 3B, including a double play and a diving stop to hold a batter to a single. He continues to impress there. Hit an opposite field 2B.
  • Mike Wright: Impressive. 96 mph, 2 k's in the heart of the order for the save. Wright as a 1 inning max effort reliever is probably his best chance of having success.
  • Dwight Smith Jr.: Quietly another good game. Two hits off a lefty with a clutch RBI and SB.
  • Nate Karns: Got the first one out of the way after a long road back to the bigs. Nice composure on the huge 1-2-3 double play. 
  • Jimmy Yacabonis/Miguel Castro: Big 5 innings of relief from two guys with big stuff who did not have their best command. The wheels, however, did not come off.
  • Mychal Givens: Downright filthy. Hit 98 on his third strikeout of the inning. ?
  • Richie Martin: First major league hit was *checks boxscore* a line drive! :leaving: Also notched his first SB on a fun double steal that led to a run.
  • Brandon Hyde: First Major League win was one to remember, including the post game laundry cart syrup-and-beer shower (what?!). Put a few stamps on this game by using an opener, sitting Davis, pitching Givens earlier, and eventually handing the 9th to Wright when Bleier didn't have it. They all worked out so they were all good decisions, because that's how managing works. ?
  • Errors: 0 
  • Mini rainbows: Mullins' PH single and SB, Bleier's return to the mound.
  • Gary & Jim: The hotel didn't have hot water so Jim took a shower in "glacier-like" water. Gary related with a story about a hotel with fleas. 
  • Yankee fans absolutely lose it on Twitterhttps://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1112090341157548039?s=19

51 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have been thinking that Wright would be a decent one inning pitcher, like Tommy Hunter. If told just go out and give it all for one inning, then he can crank that fastball up and not hold anything back for another inning.

It’s a rainbows and unicorns thread, so I won’t argue anout it.   Glad Wright got it done!

TBH - Yac and Castro " exhibited their normal lack of command" but effectively wild for Castro.  I was surprised at how silent the Yankee crowd was after the first half inning.  They were doing a "Euro football schtick", yelling out all of the players' names, etc.  Then as game progressed, they were not real active and could have impacted the game more.

My take away was the poise we showed even after Voit's fortuitous hit in the ninth.  Wright sucked it up and performed.  Tip my cap!  ⚾

As Gary says, "Rubber game today!"

"

Moose Milligan

• Plus Member Since 06/06
  •  
  • Moose Milligan
  • Plus Member
  • Bird
  • 17,952 posts

Where's @interloper with his sunshine and rainbows thread?  2nd day on the job and he's slippin.

Since that thread isn't open yet, I'll post it here.  Davis sits, Orioles win.  Coincidence?  Possibly, though I'd prefer not to think that.  Mancini was 1-4 with a strikeout, which is better than the 0-4 with 3 or 4 strikeouts Davis would have provided.

But, whatever.  Davis not in the lineup and the Orioles win.  I'll take it.

• "

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a rainbows and unicorns thread, so I won’t argue anout it.   Glad Wright got it done!

The main thing for me is it's nice to see the fastball velocity return. I feel like that at least gives him a better chance out there.

Really liked the double steal. These aren’t the O’s of old with tons of power so use the basepaths and force some mistakes. Also Ruiz looks like a nice defender at third.  Wright looked good out of the pen. Hopefully that’s a better spot for him.

I'm happy we haven't named a closer yet. The 9th inning was overly suspenseful, and Hyde could have extended Givens, but he turned the ball over to Bleier and Wright, and it turned out well. I like that a lot, and I can't help but wonder what analytics tells us about which pitcher to use to end a game.

4 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I'm happy we haven't named a closer yet. The 9th inning was overly suspenseful, and Hyde could have extended Givens, but he turned the ball over to Bleier and Wright, and it turned out well. I like that a lot, and I can't help but wonder what analytics tells us about which pitcher to use to end a game.

I think if the O’s hadn’t scored the two insurance runs in the bottom of the 8th, Hyde might have kept Givens in.    I’m sure he was thinking that the odds of winning a game when you’re up 4 in the 9th are very high, and this way he could save Givens if he needed him again today in a more high leveraged situation.    I’m fine with that logic, but I wasn’t that crazy about using Bleier there since the Yankees lineup is almost entirely right handed     I didn’t enjoy almost blowing that game, but bottom line is we won and Givens is now available today if we need him    

Archived