Villar at SS/ Alberto at 2B had a good offensive night

wildcard

Its something to watch.    Villar had his best offensive season in 2016 when he played the majority of his games at SS.     Alberto may be much better with the bat than Martin.  If these two can play good defense we could see a lot of them.

Martin could be a defensive replacement late in games.   

I hope we see more of Jackson in CF.    Rickard had a good offensive night playing right field.   He could keep Mancini out of the outfield. Mancini DH/1B.  Davis/Mancini/Nunez sharing DH/1B.

Only one game, but believe Villar & Alberto is something to watch. Martin will prob be below the Mendoza line so makes sense. A ton of fun to watch with the glove though. Still got time but it’s a solid plan B.

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

I like Martin and I really hope he doesn’t get sent back even if he hits lousy. The play he made last night would have been difficult for Andrelton Simmons.

Yeah, no way I send Martin back in almost any scenario. 

Alberto seems like he’s just a baseball player. He’s got a good feel for the game. Villar would struggle at SS defensively. Last night he “stole” a ball from Alberto in the shift and Davis picked one of his short throws to bail him out. It’s a nice way to get Alberto in the lineup though. 

Neither Martin nor Jackson strike me as a long term solution. I expect they will be here as long as they fill a purpose. At some point the real prospects will start coming up and players will be expected to hit as well as defend. That could be later this year or next year. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Neither Martin nor Jackson strike me as a long term solution. I expect they will be here as long as they fill a purpose. At some point the real prospects will start coming up and players will be expected to hit as well as defend. That could be later this year or next year. We'll see.

Who exactly are you talking about here?  Grenier? Hall?  They are several years away from the majors.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its something to watch.    Villar had his best offensive season in 2016 when he played the majority of his games at SS.     Alberto may be much better with the bat than Martin.  If these two can play good defense we could see a lot of them.

Martin could be a defensive replacement late in games.   

I hope we see more of Jackson in CF.    Rickard had a good offensive night playing right field.   He could keep Mancini out of the outfield. Mancini DH/1B.  Davis/Mancini/Nunez sharing DH/1B.

Problem is you wont be able to keep everyone wirh 19 straight games coming up.  Need more pitchers.  And Cobb comes back ok n Thursday.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who exactly are you talking about here?  Grenier? Hall?  They are several years away from the majors.

I'm talking about the outfielders, Hays, Santander, Stewart. They will need roster spots and at least one of the Rule 5 guys could be at risk.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm talking about the outfielders, Hays, Santander, Stewart. They will need roster spots and at least one of the Rule 5 guys could be at risk.

I doubt they option a Rule 5 guy.  Mullins could be optioned.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Problem is you wont be able to keep everyone wirh 19 straight games coming up.  Need more pitchers.  And Cobb comes back ok n Thursday.

Hyde is going to have to conjure up a couple of rain outs.

Archived