Aruajo DFA'ed (RHP Matt Wotherspoon promoted)

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team no one expects to finish above last didn't think Araujo was worth holding onto for 10 more measly days.

A team everyone hoped would contend figured Araujo was good enough to be carried an entire season.

Pretty wild swing of evaluation there.

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

... I'd like to see Drew Jackson get more reps at 2B if the Orioles are going to move Villar over when Martin is rested.

Or if/when they trade Villar at the deadline.

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A team no one expects to finish above last didn't think Araujo was worth holding onto for 10 more measly days.

A team everyone hoped would contend figured Araujo was good enough to be carried an entire season.

Well.....  we were done last year by mid April.  

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

He was only carried through June.  Disabled list the rest of the time. I think it was a very unwise decision to carry all those rule 5 guys to start the season last year.   None of the guys responsible for the decisions last year are making decisions anywhere this season that are baseball related. 

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Why wouldn't the Cubs take him back? He wouldn't have to go on their 40-man roster if they took him back.

They still have to use a minor league slot for him.   If they have concluded he is worthless.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The use of an opener doesn't change anything.  Not as if the starters are going eight plus.

Well, Karns and Yaco have been kind of a tag tea, two guys taking up one rotation spot.   Which meant we really only had 6 relievers.   Which mean when you consider Araujo, we really only had 5 relievers.   And only having 5 relievers is what got us in trouble and overworked Givens in New York.

So I do think the use of an opener (which in our case basically translates to Yaco only pitching after Karns and not being available the other 4 days) has had an effect on our bullpen.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Well, Karns and Yaco have been kind of a tag tea, two guys taking up one rotation spot.   Which meant we really only had 6 relievers.   Which mean when you consider Araujo, we really only had 5 relievers.   And only having 5 relievers is what got us in trouble and overworked Givens in New York.

So I do think the use of an opener (which in our case basically translates to Yaco only pitching after Karns and not being available the other 4 days) has had an effect on our bullpen.

I don't think Karns pitching four or fewer innings a week is viable going forward.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I am not sure why Yacobonis and Karns can only pitch 2 innings every 5 days. 

Why did they DFA Araujo?

Needing to put Cobb on the 25 man roster forced Elias hand.  He didn't want to send down Mullins, Bleier or Fry.  Probably thinks Alberto may play a lot if  Martin does not hit.

Elisa  ptobably knew he was not going to keep Araujo on the 40 man roster all season.  Araujo probably has  as good a chance  of making it through waivers  now as he will  in 10 days or a month.    He probably thinks the Cubs believe they got a good deal by getting 100K for Araujo and they will not want to spend 50K to get him back.

Why promote Wotherspoon instead on Phillips, Ynoa or Ramirez?

1) Elias loves strikeouts.  Worthspoon has a high K rate.

2) Elias wants to keep his young players in the minors as long as he can.  Phillips in 24.  Could be part of the future.  Worthspoon is 27 and probably not a long term solution.  Posters that say this move is not about the future.  I think it is by keeping Phiilps(24), Rogers(24) and Scott (24) at AAA.

3) Neither Ynoa nor Ramirez had a good 2018 or a good spring. Wotherspoon had a good spring.

5) Elias likes guys that have played a AAA.  Worthspoon has pitched 72 games at AAA with a 3.61ERA, less hits than innings pitched and more Ks than IP.

4) Wotherspoon probably gets sent down to make room on the 25 man roster for Cobb.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Why?  Arajuo is only a year younger than Wotherspoon. Dude isn’t 21. 

Archived