O's Moves that need to be made

wildcard

1)   Mancini to 1B, Davis to defensive replacement

2) Jackson to CF, Mullins to 4th OF and defensive replacement

3) Villar to SS, Alberto to 2B, Martin to defensive replacement

The move for Wright is coming but the O's are not quite there yet.

JMO.  What do you think will happen and when.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alberto has a long track record of lousy hitting.

Villar is not nearly as accomplished at Short.

No guarantees that Jackson will hit any better than Martin and his glove isn’t as good.

Most of your suggestions weaken the defense and don’t strengthen the offense.

I agree about sitting Davis and Mullins, but I’d prefer to call up an OF from the Minors.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You really think a Rule V pick who hit .250 with a 30 percent K rate in Bowie last year and has never played much OF is a better option than Mullins?

I rather Jackson and Martin rotate at SS.  They are the guys we are trying to develop.  Alberto is not part of this team's future and there is no reason to play him everyday.  

I would also question why you are coming to these conclusions after one week's worth of games. Mullins needs to be given until mid-May at the very least to show that he's not overmatched before any changes are considered and Jackson's not the guy I would replace him with.  

1. Davis should be a part time player until he hits. 

2. At least give him half the playing time against RH. Mullins might benefit from time in the minors. 

3.  Stick with Martin. Slick glove and it’s more of a positive than most players provide. 

4. DFA Wright today 

Davis needed from last season to be taken aside and told to only work on bunting against the shift. Then tell him until he can do it, he can't start. Let him do that ALL the time. When he can accomplish that feat then put him in the lineup and let him do it till they play him honest. Sadly, it might be too late for that. I think it's mental and he's gone.

Give Mullins more starts. So what if he fails? We need to see if he has a future with us.

I say the same thing for Martin. At least keep up the defense.

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I’m for playing Trey at first. Not sure about the other moves.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Alberto has a long track record of lousy hitting.

Villar is not nearly as accomplished at Short.

No guarantees that Jackson will hit any better than Martin and his glove isn’t as good.

Most of your suggestions weaken the defense and don’t strengthen the offense.

I agree about sitting Davis and Mullins, but I’d prefer to call up an OF from the Minors.

You can say this about the entire iine up 

We are a week into the season with a team that’s main purpose is to give guys chances to see what we have in them, there is no reason to start cutting guys playing time and moving guys all over the place and maybe hurting their confidence.  This is what I was most afraid of fans jumping screaming mad because a guy struggles for a short period demanding changes.  This is going to be a rather long rebuild sit down relax let the guys get their feet wet and a good two months atleast before being ready to start benching them.  The only move that might make sense is Davis being benched more but their are millions of reasons why that too may take time.

Davis absolutely, positively, should not start vs LHP. Fine if they need to get him regular AB's against RHP but against LHP you have an excuse to bench him without destroying his ego completely. Just do it and let him earn AB's vs LHP. Also, he needs to bunt once in a while, especially with men on base, no out in a one run game.

I would like to see Jackson and Alberto, whether they are subbing for Martin, Mullins, or Ruiz.

Wright should not be used in high leverage. Playing with fire there.

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We are a week into the season with a team that’s main purpose is to give guys chances to see what we have in them, there is no reason to start cutting guys playing time and moving guys all over the place and maybe hurting their confidence.  This is what I was most afraid of fans jumping screaming mad because a guy struggles for a short period demanding changes.  This is going to be a rather long rebuild sit down relax let the guys get their feet wet and a good two months atleast before being ready to start benching them.  The only move that might make sense is Davis being benched more but their are millions of reasons why that too may take time.

I think you are right.  The O's should give Jackson and Alberto a long look.   They are just as deserving as Martin and Mullins.  

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you are right.  The O's should give Jackson and Alberto a long look.   They are just as deserving as Martin and Mullins.  

The infield guys Alberto Martin, Jackson, Ruiz all will get plenty of time it is 162 game season and there isn’t anyone down in the minors knocking on the door to play this season in the majors.  They will be evaluating these guys the entire season.  The outfield is a little more clogged up so you might not have as long with guys like Hays, Diaz, Santander Stewart all a few months away but that will play out by the time June or July comes when you see any of those guys.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

None of this anytime real soon.    

Hyde is going to be patient and let guys grow, even if winning isn’t maximized.    I think Davis will get some days off but they’re all going to keep playing for a while.   

Archived