Dan Straily 2019

interloper

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

There’s a balance between being frugal and destructive. The 2012 Astros were literally unwatchable. I went to a game between the Rangers andAstros and in front of us were two families of Astro fans. By the fourth inning the Rangers were plowing through Astros pitching like a Panzer through tall grass, and both families left dejectedly with the score about 11-2. I felt so sad for them.

Elias has an obligation to be mindful of the fans. Last year was supposedly the result of incompetence-and idiocy- and not desire. Yet a plethora of pitchforks and torches abounded. How much worse would it be to do it on purpose?

I saw the Orioles play those Astros in Houston. I had a blast!! But of course the Astros fans were in a living hell. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ll make trades just to find a way to lose more games.    

I think you're right. I think the acquisition of Straily, giving Jackson back, etc., suggests that they don't want to be in the historically bad neighborhood. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think you're right. I think the acquisition of Straily, giving Jackson back, etc., suggests that they don't want to be in the historically bad neighborhood. 

But those are all also very small moves from a money standpoint.

You don't see Elias even giving up a 3M contract.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But those are all also very small moves from a money standpoint.

You don't see Elias even giving up a 3M contract.

Definitely. But I was surprised they got rid of Jackson. It just feels to me like they may not want to totally tank. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They may very well want to cut payroll.    I was just saying I don’t think they’ll make trades for the purpose of trying to lose more games, which is what wildcard seems to be implying in his response to jabba72:

So you are trying to assign intent to why the O's will  get a high draft choice?   I would say its Elias team building philosophy to trade away veteran players the first year of his rebuild.  Losing big is a side effect as is getting in high draft choice.  It all part of the rebuild plan.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So you are trying to assign intent to why the O's will  get a high draft choice?   I would say its Elias team building philosophy to trade away veteran players the first year of his rebuild.  Losing big is a side effect as is getting in high draft choice.  It all part of the rebuild plan.

I guess we will see what his philosophy is.    He wasn’t the guy trading players in Houston, though he certainly had a front row seat.

My only point is that there are at least three possible reasons why Elias might trade players who are playing well:

1.   He likes the younger players we get in return.  

2.    He saves payroll.

3.    The team gets worse and he gets a higher draft pick.    

I don’t think 3 will be the reason he makes any trades.    It may be the result but not the objective IMO.

51 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Definitely. But I was surprised they got rid of Jackson. It just feels to me like they may not want to totally tank. 

I don't think that is what Elias did.  I think he feels a starting pitcher, even a mediocre one, has more trade value in July than a utility infielder has in a rebuild.  Elias can either trade to get Jackson back or find another UIF on the cheap.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't think that is what Elias did.  I think he feels a starting pitcher, even a mediocre one, has more trade value in July than a utility infielder has in a rebuild.  Elias can either trade to get Jackson back or find another UIF on the cheap.

I think he feels our team needs more pitching, and here’s a cheap alternative.    

6 hours ago, Yachtsman said:

Jackson was not a pitcher, and that sealed it. The need for BP relief trumped his presence. It is in no way any indication of what the team thought of him.

Especially seeing how Wright, Bundy, and Castro have faltered so far and the pressure on Givens. (Fry and Means have been OK though.)

• The Rangers and Blue Jays were two of the teams that had interest in Dan Straily before the right-hander signed with the Orioles last week, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports (Twitter link).  Both Texas and Toronto are dealing with rotation injuries, though the Rangers had a more immediate need for starting help now that Edinson Volquez has been sidelined with a UCL injury.

MLBTR

On 4/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, ChuckS said:

Incredible bargain. A little perplexing though that no other team out there was willing to give him a mil. He’s been a solid no. 3 type starter over the last several seasons. 

This is an exaggeration, at best. He only had 23 starts in 2018, so that doesn't qualify as a "solid #3." He gave up 31 HRs in 2017 and in 2016 in fewer than 200 IPs -- that's not very solid. Nothing good to say about 2015 or 2014. 2013 was OK, but an ERA+ of only 98. His only full season with an ERA+ > 100 was 2016, which seems a long time ago already

For the FIP lovers, Straily registered a 5.11 last season, a 4.58 in 2017 and a 4.88 in 2016. He and has never been under 4.00.

Some were clamoring last year for the Orioles to trade for him. Maybe Straily is a #3 on the 2019 Orioles, but there are few teams that he would qualify as anything more than a #5.

Archived