Drew Jackson Appreciation Thread

mdbdotcom

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Why would a trade after he clears waivers and is sent back the original club be under this rule.  After he  does all that he is a normal minor leaguer.  He is no longer under Rule 5 rules.     

The only way   this sentence makes any sense is if he can be traded before he goes through waivers.

"A drafting club may work out a trade with the player’s original club so that the drafting club can keep him and send him to the minor leagues."

Yes, once he is sent back he is no longer under rule 5 restrictions and can be sent to the minors.  Then, and only then, can the drafting team work out a trade with the originating team and send the player to the minors.  The rule states this very clearly.  Not sure why you want to make the words mean something other than what they say, but they definitely cannot trade for him and send him to the minors without first passing him thru waivers and then offering him back to the originating team.

24 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

You have a loose definition of "talent".

On the contrary, it seems to me that wildcard is accurately pointing out that we have some utility infield depth in the minors in addition to Villar, Martin, and Alberto in the majors.  None of them carry the Rule 5 restrictions, except Martin.   This is not to mention the outfielders we have in the minors and Trumbo on the IL.  The only reason to keep Jackson on the 25-man roster all season, in view of the other middle infielders and outfielders that we have, would be if we believed him to be much more than a utility player.  That would be a loose definition of talent, IMO.

30 minutes ago, Number5 said:

On the contrary, it seems to me that wildcard is accurately pointing out that we have some utility infield depth in the minors in addition to Villar, Martin, and Alberto in the majors.  None of them carry the Rule 5 restrictions, except Martin.   This is not to mention the outfielders we have in the minors and Trumbo on the IL.  The only reason to keep Jackson on the 25-man roster all season, in view of the other middle infielders and outfielders that we have, would be if we believed him to be much more than a utility player.  That would be a loose definition of talent, IMO.

I wasn't advocating to keep Jackson on the 25-man roster all season. I said it would be nice to have him back and play in Norfolk. Those other guys are no-hit non-prospects. Nothing more than more Jace Petersen. We know what they are. Jackson may not develop into much more but he was is in our top 30 prospect list. And he does seem to be developing some power, hitting more home-runs in every minor league season. 

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If I’m Drew Jackson I’m probably realizing I hit .250 in Double A as a 24 year old last year and was fortunate to be selected in the rule V draft.

There are serious questions about the hit tool. He’s a fringe prospect that we let go for some additional roster flexibility. This is not some tragic loss. 

On 4/6/2019 at 7:31 PM, ChuckS said:

If I’m Drew Jackson I’m probably realizing I hit .250 in Double A as a 24 year old last year and was fortunate to be selected in the rule V draft.

There are serious questions about the hit tool. He’s a fringe prospect that we let go for some additional roster flexibility. This is not some tragic loss. 

You're not wrong about the questions about the hit tool and him being a fringe prospect.  But that doesn't mean that tweet wasn't spot on.  

4 hours ago, weams said:

He is now available to be traded for. By the Orioles. And only now. 

I like Jackson’s game. We should throw the Dodgers some international slot money and a potentially useful lefty arm.

Jackson is so blocked it’s absurd.  It might not take much. Heck, they claimed Donnie Hart from us.

I’d see If they would do Chris Lee/Luis Gonzalez + intl slot money for him.  

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Jackson’s game. We should throw the Dodgers some international slot money and a potentially useful lefty arm.

Jackson is so blocked it’s absurd.  It might not take much. Heck, they claimed Donnie Hart from us.

I’d see If they would do Chris Lee/Luis Gonzalez + intl slot money for him.  

This might be precisely why the Dodgers took Jackson back, so they can work out a trade for international bonus slot money. 

Archived