Aruajuo stays for International Money

Legend_Of_Joey

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That wasn't the question.   Waiting to hear who these teams we sent cap space to actually spend it on.   I assume that will be made public when it happens?   

After the initial rush in July doesn't seem to be a priority to publicly announce these deals.

How many of the signings have the O's announced?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who says we aren’t spending any? It was reported that we’d signed more guys in two months than in the previous year.   

Wasn't what I said.  Didn't I explain this once already?

Any allotment sent by the O's to another team can't be spent by the O's.

So far they've sent millions in slot money away.

Welcome back, Pedro Araujo! For the record, I believe in him. It may take him two years, but I like him as a middle or set-up role. He just needs to get healthy and get his mechanics back. Bowie will be a good place for that. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm saying that they are not spending every slot they trade away.

If they sent the Cubs 250K in slots, that's 250K they aren't spending.

If other teams keep trading for it obviously the O's are not buying up all the remaining talent.

We might not ever know exactly how much they have traded away and how much is left unspent.

I will say they haven't spent big on anyone despite the opportunity.

You just have this narrative that you stubbornly won't let go of. Why don't you go and find out how much of the slot money the teams we trade with end up spending? Just because the O's give somebody 250K doesn't mean that they will come anywhere close to spending that much. This isn't real money. If the Cubs said they wanted cash for Arajuo there's a good chance the O's would've probably just given him back. 

What "opportunity" has Elias specifically had to spend big? There's literally just one guy who is not a can't miss prospect and will probably just wait until the next period so he'll have more teams bidding on him. Perez and Elias have both said they have already spent more than the previous regimes have spent in years. And that's with a basically completely picked over field. Just give it a rest.

At the expense of losing out on who?  Are you suggesting these decisions are being made out of ignorance or incompetence?  If you are, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I sure don't see it myself.

I completely understand your point of view.   You may be completely right that the O’s still have set a limitation on international spending. But leaving that last sentence open ended sounds like they just gave it away.   There is some value in the return.   And I know you know that but if your gonna pound the gavel on this, I think you need to be balanced.  JMO.    And I do hope your general concern is wrong and they do plan on spending prodigiously in the international market next year.   But maybe not....

Edit:  Didnt realize we were all jumping on COC all the sudden. Lol.  I do think it’s a worthy discussion.   I just hope his premise is wrong. 

When trading international slot money isn’t it just the same as trading basically straight cash? I mean if the club chooses to use the money towards signing an international player they can, but if not they then have x amount of cash to do with what they want. I’m sure the reason it’s structured as international slot money instead of cash because it gives the team the ability to sign an international player with that money if they chose to, but doesn’t mean that’s what their intending to use the money for, versus if it was straight cash transaction they loose the option of using the money for international signings.

Or are they just trading the right to beable to spend x amount and no cash actually changes hands?

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

You just have this narrative that you stubbornly won't let go of. Why don't you go and find out how much of the slot money the teams we trade with end up spending? Just because the O's give somebody 250K doesn't mean that they will come anywhere close to spending that much. This isn't real money. If the Cubs said they wanted cash for Arajuo there's a good chance the O's would've probably just given him back. 

What "opportunity" has Elias specifically had to spend big? There's literally just one guy who is not a can't miss prospect and will probably just wait until the next period so he'll have more teams bidding on him. Perez and Elias have both said they have already spent more than the previous regimes have spent in years. And that's with a basically completely picked over field. Just give it a rest.

Why should I let the narrative go?  They keep trading the slots away.  How does that hurt my argument?  Every time another team trades for the slots it indicates that value is still out on the International market.

1 hour ago, murph said:

I completely understand your point of view.   You may be completely right that the O’s still have set a limitation on international spending. But leaving that last sentence open ended sounds like they just gave it away.   There is some value in the return.   And I know you know that but if your gonna pound the gavel on this, I think you need to be balanced.  JMO.    And I do hope your general concern is wrong and they do plan on spending prodigiously in the international market next year.   But maybe not....

Edit:  Didnt realize we were all jumping on COC all the sudden. Lol.  I do think it’s a worthy discussion.   I just hope his premise is wrong. 

I'm fine up here in this hill by myself.  I am a bit surprised so many folks are willing to give ownership the benefit of the doubt but it's ok.

2 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

When trading international slot money isn’t it just the same as trading basically straight cash? I mean if the club chooses to use the money towards signing an international player they can, but if not they then have x amount of cash to do with what they want. I’m sure the reason it’s structured as international slot money instead of cash because it gives the team the ability to sign an international player with that money if they chose to, but doesn’t mean that’s what their intending to use the money for, versus if it was straight cash transaction they loose the option of using the money for international signings.

Or are they just trading the right to beable to spend x amount and no cash actually changes hands?

Option B. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should I let the narrative go?  They keep trading the slots away.  How does that hurt my argument?  Every time another team trades for the slots it indicates that value is still out on the International market.

At this point, I'd probably argue that any prospect you can get for any amount of money in the IFA market is probably going to be hard-pressed to produce as much as Araujo.  The Cubans were our chance to make a big splash with high-profile picks, but with them gone there's a decent chance that you'd get more surplus value out of Araujo than you would from anyone still available in this signing period.

I understand CoC’s skepticism. I too have some skepticism. For example, I thought from the get go last summer that the slot money received from Atlanta was really just to make the trade look better. But until there’s some real data suggesting otherwise I’m going to trust Elias on the international market stuff. I think these moves are similar to player to be named later trades in past years. I don’t expect teams to really use much of any of these slots. I think Elias is going to take a very methodical approach to the international market. So I will wait until the next signing period to become suspicious about the real intent of the Orioles. But I think the Orioles have earned plenty of skepticism. We will know more pretty soon if the Orioles are really going to significantly invest in the international market and how the slot money they traded away was used by other teams. 

31 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I understand CoC’s skepticism. I too have some skepticism. For example, I thought from the get go last summer that the slot money received from Atlanta was really just to make the trade look better. But until there’s some real data suggesting otherwise I’m going to trust Elias on the international market stuff. I think these moves are similar to player to be named later trades in past years. I don’t expect teams to really use much of any of these slots. I think Elias is going to take a very methodical approach to the international market. So I will wait until the next signing period to become suspicious about the real intent of the Orioles. But I think the Orioles have earned plenty of skepticism. We will know more pretty soon if the Orioles are really going to significantly invest in the international market and how the slot money they traded away was used by other teams. 

I prefer @Can_of_corn's blatant skepticism, but that is me enjoying drama on the OH!  I miss SG and @RShack too, but that is another story.  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

At this point, I'd probably argue that any prospect you can get for any amount of money in the IFA market is probably going to be hard-pressed to produce as much as Araujo.  The Cubans were our chance to make a big splash with high-profile picks, but with them gone there's a decent chance that you'd get more surplus value out of Araujo than you would from anyone still available in this signing period.

This.

Archived