Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

5 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I see that point, but perhaps Frederick could get into the postseason with Rodriguez and Knight. I don't want to rush them, but if they are dominating at one level I think challenging them a little more is a good move. I just hate the talk of moving guys who have two good starts or hit .400 for one week.

Palmer pitched in a World Series at 19. I'm just talking about moving up one level after going 5-0 with a 1.40 ERA.

The only way Palmer pitched in the World Series at 19 was if he played for the Dodgers or the Twins. 

In 1966, he became the youngest pitcher to ever throw a complete game shutout in the Series. That was 9 days before he turned 21.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:00 AM, LookinUp said:

Shrug.

It's funny to me how short term injuries can affect such lists so often. It's like the entire scouting book on a guy gets thrown out the window after a brief, most likely insignificant, injury results in low playing time. Did they not rate him at #56 because he had talent? Is that talent suddenly gone? Of course not. 

Compare that to the OH list. It's not even comparable. Look at a guy like Hunter Harvey. I'm not at all bullish on him, but whatever. I love the arm, but haven't seen health + production. Tony/Luke still ranked him relatively highly because they're giving a scout's perspective. They of course account for risk, but they don't forget the talent while doing so. That's two perfect examples of how MLB Pipeline isn't up to par, IMO. 

Players with injury problems tend to keep having them. I woudn't thinkt hat Harvey is much of a prospect at this point. Diaz now has 230 plate appearances at Bowie while not doing much of anything. It makes sense that he is slipping.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

As silly as it is to get worried over one outing, after being burned in experiences with people like Bundy, Harvey, and Tillman to a lesser extent (at the beginning of his career), I can't help being hugely relieved by a tweet like this. Thanks for posting it!

Why would you get worried over that one outing to begin with? Yea he gave up the two runs on a homer, but still more Ks than innings pitched and less walks + hits than innings pitched. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Why would you get worried over that one outing to begin with? Yea he gave up the two runs on a homer, but still more Ks than innings pitched and less walks + hits than innings pitched. 

I'm guessing here but I think he was worried about the dip in velocity.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Worry is an emotion, it’s not a choice, please don’t make this an unsafe place to discuss our feelings.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That makes was more sense.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I mentioned pitchers that have suffered serious injuries (Bundy, Harvey) and drops in velocity (Bundy, Tillman), for that reason, but I could've been clearer. 

I don't think it matters how good the Orioles are as far as how minor league pitchers are advanced, or at least it shouldn't. It just appears he is clearly ready for a move up to high A. I think 20 starts for Frederick at this point would be a good challenge and get him ready for AA in 2020.

Rodriguez had what passes for a “meh” outing for him yesterday: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K’s.   He also hit a batter.    He threw 85 pitches, 55 for strikes.

Most of the damage came in the fifth inning, when GrayRod allowed three singles and a walk.    Mercifully the inning ended when a runner was thrown out at the plate.   GrayRod also benefited from a caught stealing in the 3rd inning.