Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Rodriguez had what passes for a “meh” outing for him yesterday: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K’s.   He also hit a batter.    He threw 85 pitches, 55 for strikes.

Most of the damage came in the fifth inning, when GrayRod allowed three singles and a walk.    Mercifully the inning ended when a runner was thrown out at the plate.   GrayRod also benefited from a caught stealing in the 3rd inning.    

Anybody hear of any radar readings? His velocity was down and then up the past two starts. Just wondering where it was at this time around.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So much for the Hobgood comps by the media. I’d still rather have gray rod over Liberatore as well. 

I'm still comfortable pining for Logan Gilbert (the best available player on my draft board when the O's picked http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/06/01/orioles-draft-primer-the-first-round/), but GrayRod is definitely making me feel better about not getting him. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So much for the Hobgood comps by the media. I’d still rather have gray rod over Liberatore as well. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe there were any Hobgood comps by the media.   

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I think that was twitter randoms who don't follow the draft closely. 

To be honest, I think it came from me, but what I was saying was misinterpreted.    Here was my first comment after hearing we'd picked Rodriguez:

This is a Hobgoodian reach.   Rajsich’s reputation will rest on this pick, up or down.  

And then I elaborated:

Nobody is comparing Rodriguez to Hobgood.    But the risk of being either vehemently second guessed or lauded depending on the outcome is very similar.    The O’s picked a guy who wasn’t on any major top 15 lists and was outside the top 30 on many lists.    If you turn out to be right, you look like a genius; if you’re wrong you look like an absolute idiot.

That is the only comparison to Hobgood I was making.   And I stand by what I said.   It looks like Rajsich made a good pick there, so right now, he's a genius.   And, of course, I am happy about that.

• Upvote 1

I just googled SAL All-Star game for the first time - it is Tuesday June 18.  He's certainly put where he'll pitch in the first game after that in a...gray...area.

Even for high picks, I feel like if you go from high school senior one spring to full season ball the next, survival is generally success.  There's still the ubiquitous health demand, but this is a fantastic outcome so far.

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Curious to see where he's going to be ranked after the season is over if he keeps this up.  I'm wondering if he'd be in the #50 range.

I know that BA is very reluctant to move guys into the top 50 if they’ve only pitched in the low minors.   

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Is A+ considered low minors? Guessing Gray Rod goes up there in the second half. I haven't thought that through, but it seems likely.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the new regime handles promotions.   Right now the organization boasts six starting pitchers with ERA’s of 1.72 or lower:

Wells, 1.72 at Bowie

Lowther, 1.68 at Bowie

Sedlock, 1.44 at Frederick

Peralta, 1.50 at Delmarva

Rodriguez, 1.47 at Delmarva

Rom, 1.45 at Delmarva

Not to mention Zimmermann 2.25 at Bowie and Fenter 2.17 at Delmarva.    We’ll leave Blaine Knight out of this since he already got promoted after posting 0.68 at Delmarva.

That’s a lot of pitchers making their case for a promotion.