With the first overall pick in the 2019 draft the Orioles select....

Who would get your vote?

1. Adley Rutschman

2. Bobby Witt Jr.

3. Hunter Bishop

4. Andrew Vaughn 

5. other??

And while I'm at it, With the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft the Orioles select.....?

With the 1st overall pick in the 2021 draft the Orioles select....?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Per Roch, the Orioles are still not committed to picking either Rutschman or Witt with the no. 1 pick.    No reason they should be committed six weeks before the draft, though Rutschman is looking awfully good at this point.  

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/04/this-that-and-the-other-176.html

I wonder if Adley and Witt were names given to Rich or whether Roch specifically mentioned those two. That’d seem to unnecessarily narrow things down unless they already have a number they like from Adley.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I wonder if Adley and Witt were names given to Rich or whether Roch specifically mentioned those two. That’d seem to unnecessarily narrow things down unless they already have a number they like from Adley.

I'm guessing it's the names he sees in the comments on his blog.

I don't see why Witt would be one of two names mentioned unless the talker was going off name recognition.

59 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I gotta think it will definitely be Adley Rutschman unless they feel the $$$ won’t work out.

I was surprised to see very few pitchers projected in top ten.

No pitchers with elite stuff, track record of performance, and desirable delivery/measurables. I think Lodolo is probably the top pitcher, I like him better than Singer last year, but doesn’t really have TOR upside, he’s 92-95 lefty with sink, slider, curveball, change. Throws strikes, lots of GBs, avg command. Slider is a new pitch and gives him a chance to miss more bats. Other potential top pitchers drafted are

Alek Manoah who is an extra large human, 93-98, plus slider, developing change, has had command and consistency problems but has really improved as the season has progressed. Was pretty much projected as a reliever at the beginning of the year, but has shook that label. 

Jackson Rutledge who is a JUCO guy with command issues but a huge frame and huge stuff, he’s t100, he’s kind of a Nate Pearson clone. 

Zach Thompson who is a lefty who  was kind of falling down draft boards until he sat 94-96 this past weekend with a plus curveball. His stuff is so inconsistent, it’d be a hard sell for me before 20 overall.

George Kirby who doesn’t have anything plus, but is polished, with a bunch of average to 55 grade pitches and potential above average command.

Then my favorite, Seth Johnson, who has a best mechanics of them all IMO, converted SS, has pitched one year since middle school. 91-96 t98, plus slider, high spin curveball, change. Poor pitch-ability and below average command, but like I said he’s literally just started pitching. He could be 4 plus pitches with successful development. The lack of track record could be viewed as a plus or a minus. 

Those are the top college arms, the high school class has depth but doesn’t have anyone I’d be excited about taking in the top 15 overall.

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

@Luke-OH What are the shoulder concerns I’ve read about with Rutschman? Something about a football injury in high school?

Yeah, it kind of popped up a bit last year because he was taking his throws to 2B between innings very easy. Then he'd pop sub 2 everytime it counted, he said he was just trying to be smart and save his arm. It's never caused him to miss time or affected his in-game ability. That's about all I can say without looking at the medicals.

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, it kind of popped up a bit last year because he was taking his throws to 2B between innings very easy. Then he'd pop sub 2 everytime it counted, he said he was just trying to be smart and save his arm. It's never caused him to miss time or affected his in-game ability. That's about all I can say without looking at the medicals.

I understand the caution on your explanation, and also that which Elias must possess. Interesting to see where the medical go on this and the Orioles physical history.  

So I think AR is as close to a consensus as you can have at this point in the process. 

Regarding our second round pick, perusing Fangraphs’s draft board, it looked like there may be quite a few intriguing HS and JUCO arms available in the #25-35 range. A lot of talk about going SS number two, but a young projectable arm could be a good move with the guys that may be there. Your thoughts Luke?

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

So I think AR is as close to a consensus as you can have at this point in the process. 

Regarding our second round pick, perusing Fangraphs’s draft board, it looked like there may be quite a few intriguing HS and JUCO arms available in the #25-35 range. A lot of talk about going SS number two, but a young projectable arm could be a good move with the guys that may be there. Your thoughts Luke?

They used a first round draft pick on a SS last year.

7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think the overwhelming strength of this draft is college bats. So I’d expect at least one of 42, 71 and 79 to be a college bat. There is also a depth of college arms in the 40-80 range IMO. 42 is also a good spot to grab toolsy but not physically mature up the middle HS bats.

My thoughts are unless the HS arm you really like falls, it’s more likely that there is better value in another category at 42.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think the overwhelming strength of this draft is college bats. So I’d expect at least one of 42, 71 and 79 to be a college bat. There is also a depth of college arms in the 40-80 range IMO. 42 is also a good spot to grab toolsy but not physically mature up the middle HS bats.

My thoughts are unless the HS arm you really like falls, it’s more likely that there is better value in another category at 42.

Forgot the supplemental/CB picks that push our pick from 31 or so to 42. 

Archived