The dinner time test

Frobby

Here’s how I decide whether to watch the O’s each night:   Usually I’m conmuting home during the pregame show, which I try to listen to though 105.7 doesn’t come through very clearly in DC.   I get home right at game time, and usually watch a few batters while getting out of my work clothes.    I come to the kitchen, eat my dinner, do the dishes and catch up with my wife on what’s going on.    By that time it’s close to 8 pm and I check my phone to see what the score of the game is.   It’s usually about the 3rd inning by then.   If it’s competitive, I go downstairs and watch.   

Tuesday and Wednesday, I checked my phone and it was 5-0 already.   I never bothered going downstairs.   Yesterday was a day game so of course I didn’t see that, but by the time I checked the score we were already losing 4-1 and two batters later it was 6-1 and I was done checking.  

I swore I’d watch more baseball this year, but can we at least keep things interesting for 5-6 innings?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Here’s how I decide whether to watch the O’s each night:   Usually I’m conmuting home during the pregame show, which I try to listen to though 105.7 doesn’t come through very clearly in DC.   I get home right at game time, and usually watch a few batters while getting out of my work clothes.    I come to the kitchen, eat my dinner, do the dishes and catch up with my wife on what’s going on.    By that time it’s close to 8 pm and I check my phone to see what the score of the game is.   It’s usually about the 3rd inning by then.   If it’s competitive, I go downstairs and watch.   

Tuesday and Wednesday, I checked my phone and it was 5-0 already.   I never bothered going downstairs.   Yesterday was a day game so of course I didn’t see that, but by the time I checked the score we were already losing 4-1 and two batters later it was 6-1 and I was done checking.  

I swore I’d watch more baseball this year, but can we at least keep things interesting for 5-6 innings?

Im retiring next year and promised my self to get to more games, so hope we start showing signs for improvement by then.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They made a nice comeback though, and they've done that a few times so far. I usually have the game on my laptop on mute while I watch Netflix with the wife, etc. They're a fun group of guys when things go well. For me, the bummer part is just the pitching staff, as usual. Mostly because I was hoping that's what would improve the most. 

Whatever I’m doing, I try to never miss the start of a game. The radio guys are so bad it’s like the goal was to find someone without any worthwhile radio skills. I don’t mind Jim Hunter and I like Gary Thorne, but baseball is a radio game and I’d rather listen.

but I always listen. Switch to a different game when something stupid happens, but keep checking for the rest of the game. 

The starters are averaging under 4.1 IP,  worst in the MLB with an ERA of 5.40 (23rd).   Of course, this has forced the pen to pitch the other 4.2, also the worst in baseball to go along with the 29th ranked ERA 7.50. (Hey Nats fans, you may want to sit this one out with the 30th ranked ERA of 7.79, albeit in a little more than half the IP of the O's)

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Imagine how bad it would be if you were single.

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

Whatever I’m doing, I try to never miss the start of a game. The radio guys are so bad it’s like the goal was to find someone without any worthwhile radio skills.

I told myself a few months ago that instead of paying for MLB.TV this year, I was just going to find a way to listen on the radio down here in Florida. It seemed like really good idea. My fiancee is just starting to get into baseball and I figured it could be good background noise on weeknights, especially with Joe Angel's iconic voice. Then he retired. 

I felt bad about how little I watched last year. Maybe 25 games? And that was a stretch. After watching 150+ for probably the last 10 years, it felt strange, but I couldn't keep watching the same implosion night after night. I couldn't keep frustrating myself that way. 

Same thing this year. I feel like I earned a lifetime character-building badge from 1999-2011 or whatever it was, so I don't feel the need to put myself through that again when I have a young family and a career that I can devote that time to instead.

8 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Imagine how bad it would be if you were single.

I can barely even remember what that’s like.    I’m working on my 32nd year of marriage, and I was only single for 30!   But back when I was single I probably would have been watching the game while eating dinner and doing the dishes.   I don’t do that now, and that’s how I’ve been able to stay married!   And this team would probably ruin my appetite.   

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

Whatever I’m doing, I try to never miss the start of a game. The radio guys are so bad it’s like the goal was to find someone without any worthwhile radio skills.

I don’t mind Jim Hunter and I like Gary Thorne, but baseball is a radio game and I’d rather listen.

tumblr_o3inb1kaVj1raown2o1_250.gif

I don't mind him either.  As long as I don't have to listen to him.  Seems like every game I've watched that he is doing, he is shown shoving food into his mouth.  The looks on Palmer are priceless.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can barely even remember what that’s like.    I’m working on my 32nd year of marriage, and I was only single for 30!   But back when I was single I probably would have been watching the game while eating dinner and doing the dishes.   I don’t do that now, and that’s how I’ve been able to stay married!   And this team would probably ruin my appetite.   

Hit the big 40 mark this summer, so you can image even less time for me to remember being single.

1 minute ago, MongoBoy said:

tumblr_o3inb1kaVj1raown2o1_250.gif

I don't mind him either.  As long as I don't have to listen to him.  Seems like every game I've watched that he is doing, he is shown shoving food into his mouth.  The looks on Palmer are priceless.

No matter how bad our guys in the tv/radio booth, they are so much better than a majority of their peers around the league. I can not stomach most of them.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No matter how bad our guys in the tv/radio booth, they are so much better than a majority of their peers around the league. I can not stomach most of them.

The one that I would hear every now and again would be Buck Martinez.  I enjoyed listening to him when he was doing O's games.

Archived