So how ‘bout that D. Smith jr?

HowAboutThat

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So its not the you don't hear it.  Its just that you don't want to acknowledge it.

It's nonsensical.  I'm not saying Mancini didn't say it, I'm not saying Mancini doesn't believe it.

Banging your knee to such an extent that you don't go on the DL and don't visibly show after effects does not result in the degree of decline we saw from Mancini last year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trey-mancini-day-to-day-with-injured-knee-c273130894

Seriously, he's moving under his own power in the clip, at the end he's walking off the field and barely favoring the injured knee.  That does not destroy an entire season.  That's a take a couple of days off injury.  I've taken hits that hard in flag football.

Seems to me Mancini denied it was a factor numerous times during the season and then changed his tune in the offseason.   There are different ways to interpret that.    I’m not going to worry about it.   Mancini looks great in the early going this year and that’s what matters to me.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's nonsensical.  I'm not saying Mancini didn't say it, I'm not saying Mancini doesn't believe it.

Banging your knee to such an extent that you don't go on the DL and don't visibly show after effects does not result in the degree of decline we saw from Mancini last year.

Seriously, he's moving under his own power in the clip, at the end he's walking off the field and barely favoring the injured knee.  That does not destroy an entire season.  That's a take a couple of days off injury.  I've taken hits that hard in flag football.

So you have run into a concrete wall running full speed playing  flag football?  All that means is you are tougher that Mancini.  That does not say how much it affect him.

He hit better in the 2nd half so it did not cause him not to hit all season.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me Mancini denied it was a factor numerous times during the season and then changed his tune in the offseason.   There are different ways to interpret that.    I’m not going to worry about it.   Mancini looks great in the early going this year and that’s what matters to me.

Did you look at the clip I post for this years ST?  He said he wanted to play.   If he says he is so hurt he can't play, Buck is going to sit him.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Did you look at the clip I post for this years ST?  He said he wanted to play.   If he says he is so hurt he can't play, Buck is going to sit him.

Yep, that’s one reasonable explanation.    Like I said, I’m not going to worry about it.   

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you have run into a concrete wall running full speed playing  flag football?  All that means is you are tougher that Mancini.  That does not say how much it affect him.

He hit better in the 2nd half so it did not cause him not to hit all season.

He wasn't going full speed when he hit the wall, he was already sliding, friction has this way of slowing things down.

And yea, I think a couple 200 pound guys colliding knee to knee going full speed is pretty comparable.  And yes, I left the game.

That play at first Smith appeared to ease up a little last night. Was he hurt or did he think he made it easy?  He then turned around and got a great jump off Glasnow and it was a bang bang play at 2nd. 

I think the guy is the definition of a ballplayer. He’s looking like he could be a 15/15 or 20/20 type this year. The funny thing is, I think he might be a good comp for DJ Stewart. Except Stewart might be a tad faster. 

Smith doesn't appear to be real fast. But he is tied for the team lead in SB with Villar (3), and he has not been caught like Villar has. On the other hand, Mullins and Martin are very fast. But they have only 1 SB between them (Martin). 

14 minutes ago, Natty said:

Smith doesn't appear to be real fast. But he is tied for the team lead in SB with Villar (3), and he has not been caught like Villar has. On the other hand, Mullins and Martin are very fast. But they have only 1 SB between them (Martin). 

Need to be on base for opportunities.  And it's hard to steal home when you hit a triple.

According to Statcast, Smith is 47th percentile sprint speed, so very much middle-of-the-pack.  Perhaps he is good at getting a jump and accelerating?

15 minutes ago, Natty said:

He's got good stolen base technique, seems like.  All out speed isn't all it takes.  

It'd be awesome if DSJR turned out to be a piece for us.  

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who cares? Honestly.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey, I care about CoC's flag football exploits.  He's gone from a hipster to a soft Lawrence Taylor in the span of a few minutes in my mind.

He is not a hipster. LT and he would hang. 

Archived