1/10th of the way through O's on pace for 61-101

wildcard

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

So what do you want to talk about?  The weather?   It depends on how pitchers pitch between now and  July.  Everyone knows that.   This is O's Talk.  If you can find something better to talk about I will be glad to join in.  But right now we are on page 5 of a thread that was started 3 hours ago.

That made me laugh. Yes, talking about this beats the hell of out discussing politics or which Beetle is the best.

1/10 through and we are who we thought we were. Means, Yac, and Hess, have been bright spots. Mancini is crushing. Villar is just a pro. Other than that, the SP is terrible and we’re struggling to find players put up a .600 OPS. 

I think we will remain this way until the trade deadline and whenever Hays/Sisco warm their way up. 

We might see Mason Williams and some new fresh arms, but that’s it for awhile. 

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Means, Yac, and Hess, have been bright spots.

Cobb is probably re-enteriing the rotation this weekend and if he pitches like he did in the 2nd half he will help the team.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.31 ERA in April.  No reason to think that will not continue. Hess and Means are locking down starting spots.

Givens, Fry and Phillips are throwing the ball well and will anchor the 8th and 9th innings when the O's are tied on ahead.   Yac  is pitching well. Ramirez is earning a promotion with his pitching at AAA and probably fills a mid to late relieve spot in about 5 days.  Castro has shown over the last two years that he will likely round into shape and be helpful in middle relieve.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Ramirez is earning a promotion with his pitching at AAA and probably fills a mid to late relieve spot in about 5 days.

One four inning outing of shutout innings = earning a promotion?   Easy grader....

Probably the most significant thing on the hitting side of things is Jonathan Villar sporting a 16.9% K rate 71 PA in. He's never struck out less than 22.7% of the time and 71 PA is enough to start feeling somewhat confident that there has been an improvement in true talent. Swinging strike rate is at 8.7% and he's never been below 10.4% before, which also supports the idea that a meaningful change has occurred. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One four inning outing of shutout innings = earning a promotion?   Easy grader....

Yes its pretty easy when the guys he might replay are Wright or Lucas who don't look up to major league standards or Scott who has trouble controlling his stuff.

Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.31 ERA in April.  No reason to think that will not continue.

No reason to think that won't continue - other than the bulk of his peripheral stats and his general performance for the bulk of his career.

I'd love Cashner to pitch to a 3.31 ERA for the remainder of the year, but there area plenty of reasons to think that will not continue.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes its pretty easy when the guys he might replay are Wright or Lucas who don't look up to major league standards or Scott who has trouble controlling his stuff.

Maybe I’m playing semantics here, but I don’t question that Ramirez might get called up.    I just don’t think one short start means he’s “earned” anything.    

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No reason to think that won't continue - other than the bulk of his peripheral stats and his general performance for the bulk of his career.

I'd love Cashner to pitch to a 3.31 ERA for the remainder of the year, but there area plenty of reasons to think that will not continue.

Don't let facts get in the way of hope!

Cobb is probably re-enteriing the rotation this weekend and if he pitches like he did in the 2nd half he will help the team.   Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.31 ERA in April.  No reason to think that will not continue.

15 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Honestly, this is the kind of early season cherry picking that wildcard seems to do every year that just drives me nuts.    The guy has a 5.31 ERA this year.   He had a 5.28 ERA last year.    His last two outings were 5.1 innings 3 ER and 5.0 innings 3 ER (that’s 5.23 ERA combined).    So he groups those with the one good outing Cashner has had all year, ignores the bad one immediately before that, calculates a 3.31 ERA for those three outings and then says there’s “no reason to think that won’t continue.”     In reality, there’s probably less than a 1% chance that will continue.    

Please don’t take this personally, wildcard.     I think you’re an excellent poster, and the board wouldn’t be nearly as good without you.   But the cherry picking of minuscule samples to try to reach some insanely optimistic conclusion detracts from that.    

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I’m playing semantics here, but I don’t question that Ramirez might get called up.    I just don’t think one short start means he’s “earned” anything.    

He is earning a call up compared to who is currently on the O's pitching staff.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, this is the kind of early season cherry picking that wildcard seems to do every year that just drives me nuts.    The guy has a 5.31 ERA this year.   He had a 5.28 ERA last year.    His last two outings were 5.1 innings 3 ER and 5.0 innings 3 ER.    So he groups those with the one good outing Cashner has had all year, ignores the bad one immediately before that, calculates a 3.31 ERA for those three outings and then says there’s “no reason to think that won’t continue.”     In reality, there’s probably less than a 1% chance that will continue.    

Please don’t take this personally, wildcard.     I think you’re an excellent poster, and the board wouldn’t be nearly as good without you.   But the cherry picking of minuscule samples to try to reach some insanely optimistic conclusion detracts from that.    

I am cherry picking that Cashner is throw better and winning more now the Brocail is his pitching coach and he pitched to a 3.40 ERA with him in 2017.  Plus the O's defense is way better than it was last year.  So outs that should be made are made much more often then they were last year.

Which is really not cherry picking at all but instead evaluating what is happening to support Cashner having a better season.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

So what do you want to talk about?  The weather?   It depends on how pitchers pitch between now and  July.  Everyone knows that.   This is O's Talk.  If you can find something better to talk about I will be glad to join in.  But right now we are on page 5 of a thread that was started 3 hours ago.

Can you believe how mild this winter was?  We hardly had any snow to speak of.  I'm surprised by that as well as Cashner's so/w ratio. 

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cashner is a fifth starter on a legit playoff team. The only thing you will get for trading him is salary relief. 

Dude, that would be awesome.  Won't happen, but I sure hope so.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

What he had last year will not matter in July if he is pitching better this season.

Que sera sera, whatever will be....will be...the future's not ours to see....que sera sera.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

That made me laugh. Yes, talking about this beats the hell of out discussing politics or which Beetle is the best.

Tongue firmly in cheek....in my best Larry from Bull Durham.

Look, Paul was the talent but John made the Beetles.  And the two party system is broke and both parties are shells of their former selves.  If you are a republican and think democrats are the root of all evil you are not very smart.  If you are a democrat and think republicans are the root of all evil, your parents were republican.  It's a vicious circle with no winners.  Oh, and Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

Archived