Starting Pitching Orioles What's the Problem

Bahama O's Fan

The pitching is going to turn around.   They are going to find 5 decent starters out of the 6 starters they currently have.   They will get Ramirez  to the pen before too long.   Bleier and Karns are going to return. The defense is strong enough to help them.   

The hitting probably will not be as productive as needed until Hays is in the outfield.

There is probably still going to be a sell off in July which will change everything.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.   

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, atomic said:

Move the fences back if you want better pitching.

Moving the fences back wouldn't make the pitching better, of course, but it would probably help the O's win some more home games.  This edition of the Orioles is a particularly bad fit for this ballpark--a lineup that has more speed than power and a pitching staff that gives up a lot of flyballs.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

At every stadium where we play.   

No just at Camden Yards.  That is where they are playing the worst.  And it hurts pitchers no matter whom they are.  The only guy who had long term success was Mussina.  

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

No just at Camden Yards.  That is where they are playing the worst.  And it hurts pitchers no matter whom they are.  The only guy who had long term success was Mussina.  

My point is, in general the O’s staff historically has pitched even worse  on the road than at home, so I see OPACY as just a convenient excuse for our poor pitching.    

2018: 4.71 ERA at home, 5.70 on the road.

2017: 4.60 ERA at home, 5.38 on the road.

2016: 3.81 ERA at home, 4.64 on the road

Granted, this year in a small sample the pitching has been much worse at home (8.20 ERA in 10 games) than on the road (4.62 in 13 games).    But overall, I don’t think OPACY is the problem.   Poor pitching is the problem.    

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My point is, in general the O’s staff historically has pitched even worse  on the road than at home, so I see OPACY as just a convenient excuse for our poor pitching.    

2018: 4.71 ERA at home, 5.70 on the road.

2017: 4.60 ERA at home, 5.38 on the road.

2016: 3.81 ERA at home, 4.64 on the road

Granted, this year in a small sample the pitching has been much worse at home (8.20 ERA in 10 games) than on the road (4.62 in 13 games).    But overall, I don’t think OPACY is the problem.   Poor pitching is the problem.    

I agree. The dimensions don't change when we're in the field. It's an issue of talent, on both sides of the ball. I think we'll just have to stomach it this year.

56 minutes ago, atomic said:

Have you seen the bombs that have been given up?  Not a lot of them are scraping the back of the outfield fence no matter what park they're in.

The problem: Every Orioles pitcher is a marginal starter on another MLB club, including Cobb who has battled injuries and would be probably a #3 at best on a good team. Cash would be a #4 or #5 and Bundy would be in the pen at best. That is really where he belongs. He could throw harder and get through an inning or two without much damage, maybe.

In other words, the Os have no talent, and it will be 2-3 years before they have any of the exciting prospects ready to really contribute for the ML club. This really isn't hard to see. They should be trading everyone unless they think that guy will be here and productive in 2022.

I wouldn't bring up anybody this year. Let them all play in the minors.

8 minutes ago, Brion McClanahan said:

The problem: Every Orioles pitcher is a marginal starter on another MLB club, including Cobb who has battled injuries and would be probably a #3 at best on a good team. Cash would be a #4 or #5 and Bundy would be in the pen at best. That is really where he belongs. He could throw harder and get through an inning or two without much damage, maybe.

In other words, the Os have no talent, and it will be 2-3 years before they have any of the exciting prospects ready to really contribute for the ML club. This really isn't hard to see. They should be trading everyone unless they think that guy will be here and productive in 2022.

By everyone, I assume you mean the 3 guys that might bring back more than a bag of balls in return.

1 minute ago, nate22 said:

By everyone, I assume you mean the 3 guys that might bring back more than a bag of balls in return.

I'll take the bag of balls. But also look at the Rays. They often trade productive players because they know those guys won't be producing enough when the Rays are competitive.

17 hours ago, Brion McClanahan said:

Pretty much spot on. These guys just don’t have talent. 

On 4/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, wildcard said:

The pitching is going to turn around.   They are going to find 5 decent starters out of the 6 starters they currently have.   They will get Ramirez  to the pen before too long.   Bleier and Karns are going to return. The defense is strong enough to help them.   

The hitting probably will not be as productive as needed until Hays is in the outfield.

There is probably still going to be a sell off in July which will change everything.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.   

It already has, almost every time they throw a pitch they turnaround.

Archived