Wright DFA, Ynoa is up

eddie83

The best player doesn’t always get the first call. After all the years of watching baseball, you know that. Particularly this year when “the best 25” were not sent to Baltimore, the reasons for which have been made abundantly clear on this board. The “Yefry is better” argument carries no weight.  

Several times you made the argument that “Ynoa has no options” against his case for being caught up— you’ve made another case that he isn’t very good. Which is it? Are we risking losing a good player or calling up a bad one?

I’ll save you the trouble. He’s org filler. There are hundreds of pitchers with Ynoa’s potential.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’ll save you the trouble. He’s org filler. There are hundreds of pitchers with Ynoa’s potential.

Bingo.  For a team that everyone is expecting to be horrible for at least 3 years, I see nothing wrong with bringing Ynoa up.  It's a short term move.  He'll probably be DFA'ed within a month.

12 hours ago, Philip said:

I agree, I love Korean food. My wife is Chinese and probably 18 meals a week we eat Chinese, Thai, Japanese, or Korean.

I’m not keen on Pho, however

But it does take some getting used to for a westerner.

Regardless, I think that’s where ol’ Mike ends up. He’s a good AAA pitcher. I wish he had ended up there or year or so ago, however.

Americanized Korean food is pretty good. I dont' think it takes much getting used to. I love Pho, Korean BBQ, Brown Rice places and Kimchi in general.  Its not like eating Sushi or something.  But I think the real deal is probably harder.  I went to a Korean wedding once and it was quite different.

Anyway I doubt the Koreans want Mike Wright. I think they are only allowed 2 non-Korean pitchers per team. I don't think Wright is good enough in seriousness. 

55 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Here’s a simple one: Yefry is a starter. Mike Wright is not. The pitcher called up was a reliever replacing a reliever.

On top of that, Ynoa is a reliever that the Orioles can outright at any time, burn zero options, and not affect the development paths of anyone in the minors. 

Hows that? I can make up narratives too. I’m not going to armchair GM to second guess that “the Orioles screwed up because they started Ramirez on Saturday”. How full of yourself are you?

The last two post you have proved you don't know what you are talking about.

1)  Saying I am like atomic, who has told me he complains about the O's because he likes to, is way off base.  I was among the first if not the first to start a thread here saying that Elias was the right person to lead the O's.  I am generally positive and optimistic about the O's and Elias.  So your personal attack on me is unwarranted and shows how little you are aware.

2) Ynoa is just as much a starter as Ramirez is.  In 162 minor league appearances Ynoa has started 154 times. He has been terrible as a reliever in in the majors with a 6.23 ERA in 21.1 IP.   He has been a better starter pitching 31.1 innings to an ERA of 4.02.  In fact all three of Ynoa appearance at Norfolk this year has been as a starter where he pitched to a 4.76 ERA compared to Ramirez 0.00 ERA.

3) A far as outrighting  Ynoa.  Its not a very good option for the O's.   He would be exposed to all 29 other teams on waivers which means they might lose him.   And on top of that he was outrighted last November so he does not even have to accept the assignment and could declare himself a free agent. 

On the other hand Ramirez has an option that allows the O's to send him up and down as many times as they want this season without the risk of losing him.

Maybe you should do some research before you post.

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The last two post you have proved you don't know what you are talking about.

1)  Saying I am like atomic, who has told me he complains about the O's because he likes to, is way off base.

2) Ynoa is just as much a starter as Ramirez is.

3) A far as outrighting  Ynoa.  Its not a very good option for the O's.   He would be exposed to all 29 other teams on waivers which means they might lose him.   

1) It's not

2) and 3) It doesn't matter. He's org filler. He already was a free agent and could've signed anywhere. He didn't and no other teams did.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

1) It's not

2) and 3) It doesn't matter. He's org filler. He already was a free agent and could've signed anywhere. He didn't and no one did.

So back to the original statement.   

Why would the O's call up what you term as a "Org Filler" who is not pitching well instead of Ramirez who is pitching well?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Why would the O's call up what you term as a "Org Filler" who is not pitching well instead of Ramirez who is pitching well?

Because Ramirez, who is a young starter with potential, is starting every five days on normal rest in Norfolk, and Ynoa (who again, doesn't matter) is replacing Mike Wright to pitch in long relief and eat innings. Baltimore isn't adding a sixth starter.

Just now, wildcard said:

Because Ramirez is org filler, too?  

Let's not get carried away here, I know you think guys who have a few good games in a row are destined for greatness.  Ramirez has some positives about him but step back and look at that guy, he is org filler, too.  

23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Are you just stating the obvious, or am I missing something here? I don't think anyone thinks Wright is what's wrong with this pitching staff. However, it was clear he's not any of the solutions for this season and in the future.

I get that. I'm just saying that we have a tendency to pig pile on one person as if they're overwhelmingly the reason for this club's lack of success. The level of vitriol for Mike Wright was so damn high, you'd think he was Ubaldo Jimenez. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Because Ramirez, who is a young starter with potential, is starting every five days on normal rest in Norfolk, and Ynoa (who again, doesn't matter) is replacing Mike Wright to pitch in long relief and eat innings. Baltimore isn't adding a sixth starter.

Ramirez is not a young starter.  He is 25.  Ynoa and Means are 26.  One year shouldn't make that much difference.   I guess saying they want to keep Ramirez starting each 5 days as some merit.   But not if they are trying to win.

Archived