Are Baseballs "Juiced" This Season?

TonySoprano

Flyball % has remained about the same, but more of them are going for HRs.

Season    BABIP    FB%    HR/FB
2014    0.299    34.4%    9.5%
2015    0.299    33.8%    11.4%
2016    0.300    34.6%    12.8%
2017    0.300    35.5%    13.7%
2018    0.296    35.4%    12.7%
2019    0.299    35.7%    15.4%

source - fangraphs - https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=2&season=2019&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ss&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2014-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Flyball % has remained about the same, but more of them are going for HRs.

Season    BABIP    FB%    HR/FB
2014    0.299    34.4%    9.5%
2015    0.299    33.8%    11.4%
2016    0.300    34.6%    12.8%
2017    0.300    35.5%    13.7%
2018    0.296    35.4%    12.7%
2019    0.299    35.7%    15.4%

source - fangraphs - https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=2&season=2019&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ss&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2014-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31

So if the seams was smaller on the ball, and less drag, then in theory the same hit in the air fly, could carry up and over the wall for a HR?

20 minutes ago, jjnono said:

You're welcome.  When your calling card in life is the pride you take in being the smuggest, most self-conceited member of a discussion board dedicated to the second worst team in baseball, you're entitled to your accolades.

At least, unlike the kids you teach, I'm actually the best at something.

2 hours ago, jjnono said:

You're welcome.  When your calling card in life is the pride you take in being the smuggest, most self-conceited member of a discussion board dedicated to the second worst team in baseball, you're entitled to your accolades.

He is just a troll. He doesn’t go to the games.  Put him on ignore.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, jjnono said:

Not to be a stickler, but self-conceited is redundant.

?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• What do you mean starting for Slater? He is not a starter. The Ragans matchup makes things interesting because he has reverse splits. I don't know the numbers but they need to start the guys with good numbers vs Ragans and/or LHP changeups, whether they are LH or RH.
    • Perhaps. I'm just saying he could stop the Chiefs, the Raiders disaster, and the Cowboys debacle certainly gave me pause.  Last night they certainly looked better, but the first 3 games gave me pause. I think we'll know more after a full season.
    • 1. If the Orioles had signed Jack Flaherty, Seth Lugo and Chris Sale to bolster our pitching staff last off-season, this place would have gone ballistic, and not in a good way. 2.  The Orioles ended the regular season last year flat as a pancake, and it carried into the offseason.  This year, while under the pressure of trying to keep up with the Yankees, the team struggled mightily to find consistent offense and any overall consistency.  Once that pressure waned with us knowing our destiny, guys seemed to loosen up, and we saw the offense come back.  I thought that might happen.  However, my question is, after laying an egg in the playoffs last year and recent struggles despite the last two series, does the pressure of the postseason put us back in the funk we saw throughout most of August and September? 3.  I've seen a consistent theme in this forum over the past week or two which is this:  "All we have to do is get hot at the right time, like Texas did last year."  While I agree that's true, and want us to be that team this year, isn't that statement kind of an admission that without getting hot, we're not good enough on our own merits to persevere in the tournament?  And before I get crucified for saying that, I'll point to what everyone has witnessed in recent months:  Bad/inconsistent bullpen, inconsistent offense, questions about our starting pitching, defensive lapses and being prone to not showing up offensively.  And please, let's not act like some, or all of these, don't exist.   That all being said, Go O's!!!!!  Let's get hot!!
    • All of the October ones will.    Tomorrow good chance to be the least important one if things go any kind of good. Granted ~40% chance it is the only one, but that is short series baseball, not him. I won't have warm feelings if he handles these guys but is bad twice the next series.
    • Would be upsetting to start Slater in any playoff game at this point. Even if you think Mullins/Cowser cant hit LHP (news flash Slater cant either)- keep the defense and the guys who "got you there"
    • If the point was "Skubal is better" you kind of proved that for them. More innings, more K's, less ER, less Walks, less hits, better W/L. Across the board. Ragans is very very very good- but Skubal is better, and the runaway for AL Cy Young. Either is capable of shutting down an offense- and Ragans did just that earlier this year. But we also roughed up Ragans in the other start. No matter who we face, we're going to find things that make it tough, its the playoffs. Lets keep playing good ball and get payback for 2014. 
  • Popular Contributors