O's players pace after 15% of the season

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I take most things CoC says as an insult, but have grown immune to it over the years.  Sticks and stones, that old chestnut.

I agree with your take.  I think he will walk a little bit more too.  That's not a tall task by any stretch, but combine that with hitting more doubles (and really, just more hits in general) and I think he's a significantly better bat than Trumbo in any stretch of Trumbo's career.  

Mancini is actually leading the league in hits right now with 33.

Trumbo has never resembled what Mancini is doing so far at any point in his career.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Trumbo has never resembled what Mancini is doing so far at any point in his career.

Mancini:  1048 OPS 179 OPS+

Trumbo April 2016:  958 OPS 162 OPS+

Trumbo May 2012 1077 OPS 191 OPS+

You honestly thought that Trumbo never had a really hot month?

I could keep digging but I think I made my point.

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I take most things CoC says as an insult, but have grown immune to it over the years.  Sticks and stones, that old chestnut.

I agree with your take.  I think he will walk a little bit more too.  That's not a tall task by any stretch, but combine that with hitting more doubles (and really, just more hits in general) and I think he's a significantly better bat than Trumbo in any stretch of Trumbo's career.  

That's a foolish take.  I am not involved enough on a personal level to bother insulting folks.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree but he's already at 1.2 WAR this year so far.  Of course there's a hell of a lot more baseball to be played so we'll see where he ends up. 

I haven't seen enough of him at 1st base to know if he can provide good defense there.  I think he ultimately winds up at DH, not sure if he's a guy that needs to be in the field to be a productive hitter though.  

I don't hope for a lot when it comes to this sport and this franchise, but I am hoping that we are witnessing a solid guy making a leap into becoming a stud hitter.  Last year, perhaps the knee injury was worse than he let on. If his rookie year was what he could truly do then maybe, just maybe, he's making the leap.  After all, he's been around now, the book is out on him, pitchers have seen him before.  He's seen them too and he's making them pay.

Ok, that was enough positivity.  Back to being snarky and expecting disappointment.

I can see him continuing to progress at the plate.  Stephen Piscotty may be a comparable.  His barrel percentage has continued to increase and is at 12.1 percent so far this season.   His launch angle has also increased to 10.5 this year from 5.6 last year.   He is one of the few bright spots on the team so far so I am keeping on rooting. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo has had hot months, for sure.  I'd be curious to know the difference between his batting average and on base percentage in those months to see if walk rates increased at all.

One thing about Mancini is that in 2017 (I realize I am cherry picking his good season here) is that he was pretty consistent throughout.  He certainly had hot months but his two worst months from a batting average perspective were .265 and .269.  (.733 and .818 OPS.) So even when he wasn't scorching hot, he was still decent.

When Trumbo slumps, he slumps hard.  He followed an .899 OPS in May 2017 with a .679 OPS in June.  

I don't know if Mancini has a 47 homer season in him but I also don't know if Macini's lows will be as low as Trumbo's can be.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trumbo has had hot months, for sure.  I'd be curious to know the difference between his batting average and on base percentage in those months to see if walk rates increased at all.

One thing about Mancini is that in 2017 (I realize I am cherry picking his good season here) is that he was pretty consistent throughout.  He certainly had hot months but his two worst months from a batting average perspective were .265 and .269.  (.733 and .818 OPS.) So even when he wasn't scorching hot, he was still decent.

When Trumbo slumps, he slumps hard.  He followed an .899 OPS in May 2017 with a .679 OPS in June.  

I don't know if Mancini has a 47 homer season in him but I also don't know if Macini's lows will be as low as Trumbo's can be.

I honestly hope Mancini ends up being the superior hitter.  I have no reason to root against him.

But Trumbo isn't a bad comp for Trey's reasonable outcome.   Of course two players can reach the end result using different paths.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Point taken, but I’m going to go on the record that Trey puts up an offensive season that tops anything Trumbo has ever done.

One thing I didn’t consider is Trumbo has been very streaky and is usually a first half player. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

They had some good songs IMO.

?

32 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Bundy had the lowest win total, tying Ballard & Schmidt's 1988 mark (8).

Interestingly, Bundy led the team in both wins and losses.   He also led in wins in 2017 (13) and was tied for second in 2016 (10).

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Base ball before 1900 is completely irrelevant.  

Ain't that right @DrungoHazewood?

1800s baseball was crazy and weird and wonderful.  It saw any number of records set that will never be approached.  It had intrigue, and despair.  Disputes between wonderful people and thoroughly corrupt politicians.  Players won 59 games, they had 72 complete games in a season, an Oriole hit .424.  Baltimore saw three consecutive National League Championships.  They invented the concept of professional team sports as we know it.  It was awesome.

But the best teams from the 1800s would finish 9th in the AA Eastern League today.  The most impressive stadiums kind of resembled something out of your local county fair.  By the 1890s there were regular brawls between players, fans, umpires.  Cheating was rampant.  Basic rules changed yearly. And taking any records from that era at face value is kind of like saying today's Atlantic League or Frontier League or Can-Am League are a major leagues.

If you put Dylan Bundy in the NL in 1895 he'd be the best pitcher in the league by ten miles, and Jonathan Villar would hit .440.  But that would be pretty cool...

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1800s baseball was crazy and weird and wonderful.  It saw any number of records set that will never be approached.  It had intrigue, and despair.  Disputes between wonderful people and thoroughly corrupt politicians.  Players won 59 games, they had 72 complete games in a season, an Oriole hit .424.  Baltimore saw three consecutive National League Championships.  They invented the concept of professional team sports as we know it.  It was awesome.

But the best teams from the 1800s would finish 9th in the AA Eastern League today.  The most impressive stadiums kind of resembled something out of your local county fair.  By the 1890s there were regular brawls between players, fans, umpires.  Cheating was rampant.  Basic rules changed yearly. And taking any records from that era at face value is kind of like saying today's Atlantic League or Frontier League or Can-Am League are a major leagues.

If you put Dylan Bundy in the NL in 1895 he'd be the best pitcher in the league by ten miles, and Jonathan Villar would hit .440.  But that would be pretty cool...

Ahhhh - the good ol' daze!  Here is a look at the AL in 1901!  The Cleveland Blues!  what's that kid holding - the tools of ignorance?

Archived