2019 Sprint Speed #'s

ChuckS

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2019&position=&team=BAL&min=10

Faster than I expected:  Severino, Nunez.  Both are above league average.  

Slower than I expected: Villar (right at league average) and DSJ (below). 

I've seen the 2018 numbers last year, so Mancini was not a surprise for me.  But he's pretty much right at the league average at 26.9 feet/second.  Better speed than you might think.  Not surprisingly, Martin and Mullins have been our fastest guys by a significant margin.  If only they could get on base.  

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2019&position=&team=BAL&min=10

I've seen the 2018 numbers last year, so Mancini was not a surprise for me.  But he's pretty much right at the league average at 26.9 feet/second.  Better speed than you might think.  Not surprisingly, Martin and Mullins have been our fastest guys by a significant margin.  If only they could get on base.  

I think the White Sox were shocked last night when Martin beat out what appeared to be a routine DP grounder.    

By the way, I mentioned this in another thread, but Adam Jones is clocking in at .4 ft/sec faster than last year.    Could be that he worked on his speed in the offseason (and/or lost a few pounds), could be he was somewhat injured last year, or could be that his legs are fresh in April but his times will go down as the season progresses.   

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Anything to the Villar numbers? I’m surprised by that as well. He looks pretty fast and swipes some bags. 

1 hour ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Anything to the Villar numbers? I’m surprised by that as well. He looks pretty fast and swipes some bags. 

Good instincts.  Similar to Brian Roberts, who had barely above average speed.  

Also, sprint speed doesn't necessarily account for quickness, first step. 

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Good instincts.  Similar to Brian Roberts, who had barely above average speed.  

Also, sprint speed doesn't necessarily account for quickness, first step. 

Roberts wasn’t a burner, but I don’t think I’d say “barely above average.”

Just now, Frobby said:

Roberts wasn’t a burner, but I don’t think I’d say “barely above average.”

Well, we didn't have statcast back then.  I'd guess he was probably around the 28 feet/second range in his 20's. Later in his career, he was probably an average runner at best but still knew how to swipe a bag.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, I mentioned this in another thread, but Adam Jones is clocking in at .4 ft/sec faster than last year.    Could be that he worked on his speed in the offseason (and/or lost a few pounds), could be he was somewhat injured last year, or could be that his legs are fresh in April but his times will go down as the season progresses.   

Fresh legs are a scary thing for an athlete. Look at what CJ Anderson did for the Rams. 

Archived